Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Infected With Trojan (Devastated & Frightened)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MamaMichelle

MamaMichelle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

When I went to log in to my computer and tried to access my Quicken program the exe file is missing to run the program. When I tried to access Microsoft Express it will not let me send mail but I can receive them. And when I tried to do a system restore it comes up bland with no restore calender. A while back when I was downloading a program I set up a system restore point and it is no longer there. And I had also exported and saved a registry file and it is missing. And I am also missing some documents on my computer. I am afraid that my personal financial files have been breached and now fear identity theft. I had everything on my computer. It also changed files that I had copied to a external hard drive.
I ran the malwarebytes on my computer and nothing. I did try in safemode. Followed a few suggestions that is posted on this website.
I am so fearful and at a point of not Knowing what to do.
I am not sure how I should proceed about my personal information out there in the wrong hands and what to do about my pc.
So, if I can get some help I would so be appreciated.
Thank you,
Michelle :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

One or more of the infections is a probably a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users