Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DHCP, rendering and possible DNS issues on my network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkslategrey

darkslategrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Our home network is a bit odd because for some reason the ISP decided to set up the DSL modem as the router and DHCP server which pretty much leaves the wireless router as a WAP and 5-port switch. This leads to some frustrating DHCP issues where the modem doesn't respond to requests for an IP address, especially from wireless devices, or causes conflicting IP addresses. We're planning to get a technician from the ISP to let us set up DHCP reservations for the commonly used devices on our network and shift the scope up so it doesn't cover those addresses.

Another problem I haven't been able to diagnose is rather odd: some websites such as Engadget, CNN, BBC and Weather.com don't seem to render properly; there appears to be no CSS formatting, or will simply return a 404. Usually the problem is fixed by refreshing the page, which works well enough on our computers where the page isn't loaded from the cache when the refresh button is pressed. However, mobile devices such as my iPod don't seem to follow this line of thinking, and therefore the cache must be manually cleared in order to get the page to load and render. I can't seem to figure out what's causing the problem. If I use my iPod to connect to a network elsewhere, the problem doesn't occur.

Linksys router BEFW11S4, SpeedStream DSL Modem 5660.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

Cant you just use the linksys router and disable the modem from being dhcp server and stuff? Im sure the ISP may of setup the modem like that, but you can always use a router shouldnt make a difference but performance wise.
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#3 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

I know the setup is a little unorthodox but I don't really think it's the source of the problem. Does anyone know if the SpeedStream has an internal firewall that might be screwing with the data?

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

Firstly every modem is a dhcp server, I would just connect the router into the modem, and connect the devices and computers to the router... If you need to manually set up the modem, most modem ips are 192.168.10.1...
As for the css suport problem, if you are using Internet Explorer, that could be the problem, if those sites are using CSS2, Internet Explorer is not W3C complaint... Also it could be possible there is an ISP firewall, or problem...

#5 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for your help. The problem isn't that I don't know how to reconfig the modem/router but that I can't. The ISP set a p/w on the modem and router and didn't tell us the password. I'll check to see if the ISP has been getting complaints about the rendering issues but I don't think the problem lies in the browser as I use Chrome and Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users