Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no drivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wig58

wig58

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: have a HP pavilion a1620n that i have replaced the mother board with (ASUS P5LP-LE, same as original) with new SATA HD , but kept the original cpu processor (PentiumD 925 (P) DC 3.0 GHz...800 MHz front side bus...Socket 775) with chipset of Intel 945G. Problem is it will not load the windows xp retail disc to install the drivers. I even went to HP and they said I had to have the recovery discs , so i purchased them, but still am not able to install the operating system and drivers. Have the boot set up for CD-1st, HD-2nd. HP recovery discs will not work either. Any ideas on what to do. Also could the problem be the original HP processor , as the bios screen shows Award bios with the HP copyright for 2006, and if so could a new cpu processor get rid of this frigging hassle. plus how do i go about dwnloading n installing drivers if it wont even let me install windows? any help would be appreciated as I'm about to lose it. Thanks

Edited by wig58, 28 February 2009 - 04:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

If it's a Microsoft XP retail CD...and a new hard drive...it should install XP.

Do you have any unnecessary peripherals attached (external drive, flash drive, USB devices, etc., additional hard drives) ?

If so, remove them and just have the hard drive on which you intend to install (is it SATA or PATA) and the optical drive properly connected. If you have a PATA hard drive and optical drive, they have to be on the same ribbon with the optical drive in the "middle".

Exactly what happens? The phrase "won't install" isn't very enlightening.

Louis

And...if you can't complete an install of XP...I would say that's the bigger problem, not your inability to get drivers because you can't complete the installl.

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2009 - 04:51 PM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

Is the CD drive and hard drive recognized in the BIOS screen?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

dpunisher is on the correct path, the CDs are specific to the BIOS of the original motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 15,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

new SATA HD ... will not load the windows xp retail disc

In most cases retail XP cannot install onto a SATA hard drive, you need either the SATA drivers for the motherboard on a floppy disk and press F6 when the installation prompts for SCSI etc drivers, or if the system lacks a floppy drive, to slipstream the XP install onto a CD with the SATA drivers, using a utility like nLite.

I would expect the required drivers to already be included in the HP restore discs, if they don't function correctly, as dpunisher has asked, are the HDD and optical drive correctly IDed in the BIOS? And exactly what sequence of events occurs when you try the installation?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 wig58

wig58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

only thing installed is the new board, new SATA HD, and new CD/DVD. the start opens with a black screen showing phoenix-award bios v6.00PG
copyright 2006 by HP company
mainprocessor:Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz(200x15.9) 2 CPU(s)
memory test:1039360k OK +8m shared memory
cpu L2 cache size:2048k x2
system bios shadow status: shadowed
system video bios shadow status: shadowed
umb upper limit segment address: f000h
ps/2 mouse initialization status: no plugged
first channel device 0: st3250410as 4.aaa
first channel device 1: none
second channel device 0: TSSTcorp CDDDVDW TS-H653N 0208
second channel device 1: none
third channel device 0: none
third channel device 1: none

Floppy disk fail (80)
press (F!) for setup (F2) to continue
12/08/2006-lakeport-leucite3-00

ive even plugged in a floppy drive and tried to boot with windows 98 and would not work, that is why im wondering if the original processor that came with it has any thing to do with this as everything else is new. 1st boot device is cd-rom,2nd HDD groups.
when i run the windows retail disc i get a cd device not recognized or not installed?
anyway I'll try to unplug and replug everything and see what happens. any other help i would appreciate

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

Disable any "RAID" setup in BIOS, and if using onboard video, bump the shared memory up to at least 64meg. This just seems like a situation where the BIOS setup is wrong. Have you "reset to defaults" and started over yet?

Edited by dpunisher, 01 March 2009 - 09:16 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

ive even plugged in a floppy drive and tried to boot with windows 98 and would not work, that is why im wondering if the original processor that came with it has any thing to do with this as everything else is new. 1st boot device is cd-rom,2nd HDD groups.
when i run the windows retail disc i get a cd device not recognized or not installed?
anyway I'll try to unplug and replug everything and see what happens. any other help i would appreciate

If the first boot device is set as the DVD or CD drive the PC should boot from it regardless if the hard drive is installed or not. Reseat you cables and try again.

If the hard drive is SATA, the retail Windows XP CD will not "see" the hard drive as the SATA drivers are likely not there. To add them you'll need to slipstream or use the HP CDs.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Some boards with native SATA capability...do not require SATA driver installation in order to install XP on a SATA board.

FWIW: Motherboard specs, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...lc=en&cc=us

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users