Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer "Freezes" Until ctrl+alt+del

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 k77996

k77996

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hi, I've been using this Vista computer for a while now, and it has had some problems but recently none. Now however, it freezes every couple of minutes until i hit control alt delete and cancel it. When the computer does freeze, I can select desktop icons, move my mouse around and look at what is happening, but I can't interact with any of the windows itself. If i try to move one, or select it, nothing happens. If anyone knows how to solve this it would be great. This is very annoying. Thanks

*Edit*
I am using dual monitors, so if i have a game running in windows mode on one monitor when it has "frozen" i can still play the game fine.

Edited by k77996, 28 February 2009 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Calundur

Calundur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

Your lucky then. Once sometimes twice a day at random times, my computer goes from blazing fast to hitting a sticky gel mass. Whatever program or game im running appears to be completly frozen. Ctl + Alt + Del does nothing for me, the mouse still moves but its very jumpy and appears to be bogged down even when told to click.

The only remedy I have so far is to push to soft boot button.

#3 k77996

k77996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Oh. That has happened to me a couple times too, and about 1/2 the times the program "X-Button Mouse Control" was the cause. Closing this fixed it a few times.

#4 sio775

sio775

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

" Hi, I've been using this Vista computer for a while now, and it has had some problems but recently none. Now however, it freezes every couple of minutes until i hit control alt delete and cancel it. When the computer does freeze, I can select desktop icons, move my mouse around and look at what is happening, but I can't interact with any of the windows itself. If i try to move one, or select it, nothing happens. If anyone knows how to solve this it would be great. This is very annoying. Thanks

*Edit*
I am using dual monitors, so if i have a game running in windows mode on one monitor when it has "frozen" i can still play the game fine. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey I have the same exact issue, it started yesterday evening, after i plugged out my Nostromo N52 out of the usb socket (gaming speedpad) causing the monitor to go black without a response. I then restarted the computer. And after that moment the same exact issues in every way that you explained above have been occuring to me. I searched up the problem and ended up in your post. I am not sure how to solve this right now but if you have found a way please let me know. I also play a game in windowed mode "darkfall online", so when i try to bring my house out on my second monitor, i can't click on anything but even items i hover over light up anymore. The only way to solve this issue temperarily is to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and click task manager and you gain control for a short period of time. This doesn't happen very often when im not playing games.

I also foramated from the frustration. And during my format after bios booted, the installation of windows wouldn't allow me to click on the form to select language etc.. lol. So i somehow alt tabbed and kept clicking till it worked (my mouse is very new g9 logitech). After the format i knew i wasn't dealing with software issue so windows was not corrupt. Because i still have the issue. The only two other possible things i see is damage to the graphic card or motherboard. The reason i dont think it's mouse is because if it were mouse not being able to click then it would have nothing to do with nothing indicating a response from hovering over them example icon's on the taskbar at the buttom of the desktop, or closing "X" minimzing "_" and maximizing "[ ]" buttons which light up on top of applications. Needless to say they can't be clicked on either in this state untill ctrl+alt+del is performed once again.

IF anyone has any ideas on what is damaged and needs replacing, or a solution of some kind (i have low hopes) please inform me. My problem is identical with absolutely no differentiation as the post above.

#5 sio775

sio775

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

i am using a geforce 260gtx graphic card. Although the problem persisted through the format, and after. After reinstalling the nvidia drivers, and repositioning my two monitors from left to right and vise versa, the problem seems to have stopped. If it appears again i will repost. But untill then i think this may be a solution to others having the problem. I think the graphic card's have an onboard memory where it remembers both monitors and activates them even after the format the problem may have been persistant for that reason. It could be a graphic issue that is currently solved for me after doing the steps above.
-Reinstall nvidia or your graphic drivers.
-Reposition your monitors applying both times.
-And finaly a reboot.
note that this procedure was done after a format and not the uninstallation and reinstallation of graphic drivers.

#6 William Wilson

William Wilson

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:58 AM

freezing often? I wonder whether your pc is infected . cause under normal occasion, such things could not happen so often. May be you should run several anti-virus program,like avast, avira,norton, AVG, and moreover, if one of them checks OK ,you must check others, make sure you have the full scan.

Hope this could help you.
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users