Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help getting rid of virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scrapally

scrapally

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me out. I somehow got a virus on my desktop that I can't get rid of. I am running Windows XP. It seems to have disabled my admin privileges. When I boot in safe mode, Malwarebytes finds several problems, but the computer needs to reboot to fix them. When it reboots, it won't allow Malwarebytes to finish, as it says I don't have privileges to access the files.

I tried System Restore (my tried-and-true method for killing viruses) but the same thing happens. Same with Spybot Search & Destroy AND SuperAntiSpyware. It seems that in Safe Mode I can access almost everything and all the programs find errors, but then need to reboot the system, which goes automatically into regular boot-up mode, and then the removal/restore processes can't finish because it says I have no admin privileges (even though it's the admin account). If I try to go into safe mode when those programs automatically re-boot, nothing happens.

Most programs will only run in Safe Mode, so I have no luck trying to start Malwarebytes or any of the others in regular mode.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! I am usually pretty computer-savvy but I am quite stumped on this. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Edited by scrapally, 28 February 2009 - 01:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scrapally

scrapally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hi, I ended up making a mistake trying to fix it and I'm now reformatting my hard drive & will reinstall everything, so no reply is needed.

Sorry...I couldn't figure out how to delete the post.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for telling us
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users