Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance after RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 makjax

makjax

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I have a Dell Dimmension E310 desktop runing Windows XP SP3 that I just upgraded from 1g to 2g of RAM. Everything works OK but I don't notice any improvement in performance. Is there anything else I need to do? Some blogs recommend a BIOS update, but I'm not sure if that's what I need.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

Installing extra ram will only increase performance of a system if you used more then had and then used virtual memory, to make a system go faster it needs a faster cpu (more calculations per second).

Memory basically has 3 stage
cpu cache
ram
virtual ram on hdd

They way i find it easiest to explain is this
imagine a person at a desk, the person is the cpu, the desk is the ram, and the filing cabinet 1 floor down is the virtual ram on the hdd.
The cpu cache is what the person can remember themselves (very quick "access"), and they can put that information to use straight away.
Ram are pages of information sitting on the desk in front of them (good access speed as you can pick the pages up to get the information needed)
Virtual Memory (Very slow access)are the rest of the files you use, but to get them you have to get up from your desk, run down the hall, jump in the elevator go down 1 level go to filing cabinet SWAP a page from your desk with one in the filing cabinet and go back upstairs to your desk. This obviously takes quite a lot more time, so to stop this from happening you get a bigger desk (more ram) so you dont have to swap pages from your desk(ram) to your filing cabinet downstairs (virtual memory) as often, which seems to speed a pc up.
However, if you weren't using virtual memory to begin with putting more ram in wont help much.

Hope that clears up the problem a little bit :thumbsup:
To get your pc to go faster you have to get quicker cpu's, quicker video cards and faster hdd,s

#3 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

I agree with the post above. You should only notice an improvement if you use more than 1GB RAM at a time.

---

@Charybdis, @all: What I want to ask is, if you have a bigger RAM if it is not actually making your PC slower. Like imagine you have a warehouse and you have only 1 item in it. It would be easier to find it in a small warehouse compared to a huge warehouse. What do you think?

Edited by patbox, 28 February 2009 - 06:45 PM.

Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

@Charybdis, @all: What I want to ask is, if you have a bigger RAM if it is not actually making your PC slower. Like imagine you have a warehouse and you have only 1 item in it. It would be easier to find it in a small warehouse compared to a huge warehouse. What do you think?

No, if other factors remain the same, having the greater pool of memory won't of its own accord slow the system. All allocated memory resides at known addresses, and as the memory is Random Access (RAM = Random Access Memory) its content is not harder to find because the total of available memory becomes larger.

However a few motherboard designs can't run memory at the highest specified speed if all of the memory slots are populated. In this type of system, you may lose some performance with more memory because the memory clock speed drops when the extra memory is fitted.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:18 AM

And to add onto this; Depending on the OS your operating *mostly 7 Beta and Vista*, if your upgrading from 1GB RAM to 2GB RAM, you should find a significant change in performance. I did this to my other computer, and it did exactly that. If your computer is on the bare minimum, you will notice a dramatic increase in performance. However, As stated before, a faster processor (Quad Core, 2.33 Ghz), Faster G Card (ATI Radeon 3650, GeForce GTX 250) and a faster HDD (a 5200 RPM to a 7200 RPM) will show the biggest changes.

BTW: Chary, I loved your example. It totally resembles real life and it's connection to RAM.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#6 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:28 AM

@all: so what is a quick way to find out how fast is my HDD? and G Card?

re: processor - nowadays will processors really make a difference? most processors which are sold area already quite fast. for normal user who is using an internet browser, e-mail application, some office program, will there be any noticeable difference between say 1.6 GHz and 2.3 GHz? E.g. Imagine you buy a car that can drive 200mph (kmph) and then you buy a car than can drive 300mph (kmph), but at the road you are using you can drive only 50mph (kmph).
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users