Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible "PRIVACY COMPONENTS" Virus - NO access to desktop/ Moved

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kari Mitchell

Kari Mitchell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

Hello all, and thanks so much in advance for any help.

My sister's machine has recently been 100% crippled by a program - we think it might be called ACK, or PRIVACY COMPONENTS - this is why I am posting for her.

I am familiar with HijackThis, MalwareBytes, etc and can help her through any instructions you have once we get access to get the tools installed and get the reports to post. Problem is - we can't access anything.

Her machine is a HP Pavillion DV 2000, running Vista Home Premium, Intel Core2Duo, it's about 3 months old.

Her machine never ran slow, or had issues - she booted up yesterday and these 'security threat' windows began popping up. Now, there is a woman speaking in a foreign language (maybe French or German?) at start up, and there is one window that says "ACK - Privacy Components - Simple 1 Click Solution to Protect Your PC" and then there are some that replicate that say "Privacy Components File X Access Denied".

This all happens at boot up - and then finally, she gets a "Windows" error message that says "pc.exe has encountered a problem and will close" - then another error that says something about stack overload.

So - after all of this, we have no access to:
1/ Task Manager
2/ Any desktop icons
3/ Start buttons

We just get to a black screen.

So we need help getting Hijack this and running whatever tools we need to run from the command prompt. We have started in safemode+command prompt successfully, but are not experts here and don't know how to stop these processes/program so we can work on removing it. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much in advance, we await any help -

Best,
Kari

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

As no logs have been posted, I am moving this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:56 AM

From normal mode and that black screen try using task manager(cntrl/alt/del)

See if you can get explorer to run(File/new task)

I am not sure where it's located in Vista

Edited by DaChew, 01 March 2009 - 02:57 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users