Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI - signal strenght

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

I am sharing WIFI with a neighbor and the signal I get here is quite low. 15% of times I have no access to internet, so I need to wait few seconds or minutes for the "waves" to be a bit "better" and then it works again.

I was wondering is there some sort of a software, that can solve my problem?

I can not imagine how technically could a software improve WIFI connection strength, but it is 21. century and there is all kind of sci-fi solutions around.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 darkslategrey

darkslategrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

As far as I know there is no software that can improve signal strength, but there are a variety of hardware solutions. You could add a WiFi repeater, which basically does what it says: repeats signals it receives in order to extend the natural range of a WAP. Alternatively, you can attach high-gain or directional antennas to the WAP. High-gain antennas are basically higher-powered antennas that therefore have a wider range. You can usually unscrew the antennas from the back of a router and attach the new ones you choose to buy. A directional antenna (some that resemble rooftop TV antennas are called Yagi antennas) has a range that extends primarily in one direction, so that you get better signal in one area but probably drastically reduced signals in others. Assuming your wireless device has two antennas, point one towards your house and one towards your neighbor's.

You can also just fiddle with the currently installed antennas. Try moving one or both around and see if that helps.

#3 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Yes there seems to be no software solution.

1. REPEATER
If i have 10 wifi networks in my rage, will this repeat all 10, or is the gadget somehow programmable to repeat just one network?

2. MIRROR
I just cant use the wifi when I am in bed, the signal strength is a bit lower. So I moved to other rooms, and now it is okay. However, I read some funny stuff on internet, like place a mirror behind you and the wifi will get reflected more into your PC causing better signal, could that work?

3. FUNNY GADGET
What I think is the most funny and simple gadget I read about, is to have a long USB cable (USB extention). You plug it in and lead the cable to the area of the house where you have good signal, and then plug on the other side of the USB extension and WIFI USB drive, that should do.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users