Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vox98

Vox98

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

Hi,

Im Having a problem with my dual monitor setup. Im not sure if one is beginning to fail on me or if it is my graphics card or what.... One of the monitors just blacks out on me, sometimes with the power button flashing and sometimes not. I am still able to drag applications across to it and sometimes it will turn on when doing this, most times no however. Once in a while it will also come on if I go into my Nvidia control panel and select just the 1 monitor that is working for my display and then changing back to dual. I have had this setup for over a year without any problems. I really don't know what I can do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

Try changing your power options in your display settings to monitor always on. The monitor may be going to sleep. What kind of monitors and graphics card are you using?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Vox98

Vox98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

That doesn't seem to be working. I'm using 2 Viewsonics. Main display is VX2245wm 22" works fine, 2nd display is Viewsonic VX922 19" which is the one giving me problems all of a sudden. GeForce 8600 GT card. Running Vista 64

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

Have you tried upgrading the drivers for the video card? Do you have drivers installed for the monitors or are they installed as default monitors?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hi

Have you tried swapping over the monitor cables at the end that connects to the graphics card?
If you do this and the problem moves to the other monitor then this will point to the graphics card. If the problem stays with the monitor then its a monitor problem.
Steve

#6 Vox98

Vox98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

@Sneakycyber: I have them installed as default. I havent tried the drivers for them at this time. Never had a problem before, but maybe with the updated video card drivers I need to?

@Slix: I have tried this method and it seems it is a monitor problem as it stays with the same one.

Would you recommend I try the monitor drivers?

#7 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:10 AM

Hi

Would you recommend I try the monitor drivers?

It's always worth getting the most up-to-date drivers. It won't cost you anything and may just solve the problem.
Go here to download the latest driver for the VX922 http://www.viewsonic.com/support/downloads...p;x=15&y=11
If that doesn't solve the problem then it looks like the monitor is faulty.
Steve

#8 Vox98

Vox98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

It seems to be working with the latest driver for this monitor. So far so good. Thank You very much for the help guys. In the past I never seemed to have to install the drivers for the monitors. I guess the upgrade to Vista needed them.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Glad We got it working!
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 Vox98

Vox98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

It appears I spoke to soon! Back to a blank screen and only the power button flashing :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users