Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo killed my email

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 GeoffRay

GeoffRay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:52 AM

I'd been sending out emails to a client behind a messaging service, but most didn't get through.
It turned out to be the mere presence of a link to my own Yahoo (geocities) web site in the outgoing mail. I removed the link and 'Hey Presto' the mail got through.

There was no virus (that I could detect) on my PC or in the email or my web site, but the bounce-mail from the messaging service said I'd sent a message with "unauthorised code (such as a Trojan)" and that my malware score was "200".

I spent three days solid scanning the five PCs on my network unitl I hit upon selectively removing lines of content in the email itself.

I guess, since the messaging service was "rules based" and came up with an overall risk score, I'll never know for sure.

Is it time for a Rules Based, Multiple Resident Scanning Engine solution to become available to the general public? After all isn't it the weakest link that threatens us all?

Has anyone had the same thoughts or a similar experience?

Cheers

GR

Edited by GeoffRay, 28 February 2009 - 06:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users