Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed with Firefox Addons Question?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:29 AM

I have been having problems with Firefox crashing lately and am thinking of a clean uninstall/re-install. I have exported my Bookmarks to IE7 and can then import them again after installation. My question is in regard to three of my Firefox add-ons. The three I mean are Adblock Plus - NoScripts and No Squint. Is there a way or is it even possible to have them remember the various settings etc they have acquired in the time I have used them or will I just have to add them all over again after reinstall of Firefox?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

I'm not sure about the add-ons, but Firefox will remember the bookmarks which makes me wonder if it will retain these as well.

Edited by dc3, 28 February 2009 - 11:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

Thanks dc3 but I am going for a clean reinstall of Firefox and will be deleting all firefox entries. I have exported my favorite bookmarks to IE7 and will import again after re-install I just wondered if there was a way to do this with add-on rules etc?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

To the best of my knowledge, add-ons are not filed in your Profile. Bookmarks and other personal settings are stored there and are independent of the browser application; thus, you can do a clean reinstall of Firefox without the Profile being effected (unless you manually uninstall the profile as well).
If I am correct, you will need to reinstall the add-ons along with any user settings.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Thanks John, I had a feeling that might be the case. It was mostly Noscripts I was interested in. Over an extended period I have added many adsites etc to the block list and wondered if there was a way to keep them on reinstalling the add-on. Oh well just have to build it up again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users