Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pat666

pat666

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:13 PM

Hi all:

I hope someone can offer a suggestion or two to remedy this problem. All of a sudden anytime I open a window (using WindowsXP Home) all of the horizontal lines that make up the window extend all the way across the screen. They look like "ghosts" of the lines that form the window.

I do not get any error messages and have swapped monitors with one that I know is working properly and I've reinstalled and updated the drivers for the video card and the moniter. When I check the video card and monitor properties it says that both are working properly.

Could it be a problem with the video card or might it be something else? Any suggestions that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 madestmax

madestmax

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:34 AM

Where the monitor connects to the adaptor. See if its loose. My son cost me a motherboard when he pushed my computer closer to the wall and broke the connector on the motherboard. someone may have done the same to you. But at lease it's only a card. Still not cheap. But cheaper then a new motherboard.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:33 AM

What kind of monitor and video card are we talking about?
Right click a blank area of the desktop and click Properties then Settings. This will show you your screen resolution and no. of colours - reduce the resolution and see if that has any effect. Click Advanced - somewhere in there will be info about your monitor and the refresh rate - try lowering that and see if it has any effect.
If you have a CRT monitor that ghosting usually indicates it is either being driven outside specifications or it is defective but if you changed the monitor and got the same effect then its not that - must be the video card.

If you have a plug-in video card (graphics adaptor or GPU) then here is a step by step to reseat it:
  • Shutdown and switch off but do not remove the power cord.
  • Take off the cover.
  • Hold on to a metal part of the case now and as often as you can during the entire process.
  • Pull out the power cord.
  • Undo the screw holding the video card in place and unplug it.
  • If there is a lot of dust around use a can of compressed air to blow out the card slot.
  • If the edge connectors of the card look tarnished clean them lightly with a pencil erasor.
  • Firmly plug the card back in and secure it with the screw.
  • Put the case cover back on.
  • Check in the end of the monitor cable that there are no broken or bent pins (some pins are missing - that is normal).
  • Connect the monitor (remember to switch it on) and reboot.
hth
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 pat666

pat666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't be able to work on this until the weekend. I'll let you know what happens. The cables are ok (when I swapped monitors I also used different cables), but I didn't think of looking at the video card. I guess that at the time I was so sure that it was the monitor I wasn't looking for anything else!

Thanks guys,

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users