Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling the Operating System problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 browns82

browns82

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

Alright, long story short I ended up picking up a ton of crap on my computer and then I deleted important system files when I removed them. It started off with a ton of error messages, then my internet died, now I can't even make it to the desktop. Just a blank background screen after logging in. So I'm trying to reinstall my operating system but I have a problem because I can't run the CD from safe mode. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

Dont try to do it from safe mode. First you need to make sure the bios is setup to boot first from the CD Drive, then restart the system with the Windows CD in the drive. Watch the screen for it to say something to the effect of, press any key to load from CD drive, press a key and I believe it should then start the Windows disk which will give you options as to how you want to proceed

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

Is this a Windows XP Disk or a Recovery Set disk?

And you shouldn't need safe mode. You can just boot it straight from the CD. You will be able to run the reinstall of the OS from there.. Hopefully you didn't damage any peripheral drivers.. If you can't use your mouse or keyboard, your in for a long ride.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 browns82

browns82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

The CD is.. Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003

Whenever I try to boot from my CD drive it just goes to the loading screen followed by the regular login one. Which if I try to login to the same thing happens as before.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

Let's make sure we are all on the same page here.
You mentioned in your first post that you want to reinstall Windows XP.
When asked Is this a Windows XP Disk or a Recovery Set disk
you stated you were attempting to use Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003 cd.

Is that the disc you are using in an attempt to reinstall XP operating system?
If it is, it won't work. Office is not an OS, it's a seperate software program.
It doesn't contain XP.

Do you have an XP disc or a set of discs that came with your computer?
If not, is your computer a Dell, HP, or other brand?
If it is you may have a recovery drive. The trend now is for manufacturers to include a recovery drive
with all the components for a re-install of the operating system instead of including cd's with the system.

You can check to see if yours has the recovery drive, it's usually Drive D.
Open My Computer from your desktop, see if it is there. Of course you have to have access to your desktop, which you state you don't have. Can you access one from safe mode?

If you have any questions, please ask. You might want to let us know the manufacturer and model number of your system.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 February 2009 - 10:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users