Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nick2nite

nick2nite

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

I have a Toshiba M200 laptop and my hard drive crashed. I bought another one and installed it, but I can't get my new hard drive to start up the Toshiba start up disk. I don't have an internal cd drive. I have an external one hooked up by a USB cable. The cd drive and cable work when hooked up to my desk top computer, but not my Toshiba. I went into F1 and set it up so it boots up by my cd drvie first, but it still doesn't recognize it. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by nick2nite, 27 February 2009 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Did you download the drivers to your laptop? If you didn't, Windows will most likely not find it, and will reject it. I suggest you install the drivers that came with a CD when you bought the external, or download the driver online. Search the model of it and find it's website.

If not; i'm not sure what going on. Maybe your BIOS or your settings are rejecting it..
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

If you are trying boot from a USB device, you probably also need to ensure that your BIOS is set to support USB boot devices.

On my system there is a setting for "USB legacy devices" that must be enabled.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

It looks like the only legacy emulation there is for that BIOS is for a USB keyboard and mouse, and a USB FDD.

http://209.167.114.38/support/TechSupport/...PM21C-16MKV.htm

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users