Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

I have been told that you do need to turn off anti-virus protection and firewall before downloading and installing a Windows update, but it does not make sense to me that Microsoft would make you be that vulnerable to attacks for the length of time to download the update, as some of them can take a long time. I can somewhat understand the need to turn them off while installing the updates, but not downloading them. For the most part, I do not even see the need to turn them off while installing them but atleast if you do have to do it to install them, you can disconnect from the internet.

Can anyone tell me if one really has to turn off anti-virus protection and firewall before downloading and installing a Windows update? And if so, why?

Thank you for any info you can give me on this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

I never heard of such a thing. My advice is disable them only if Windows updates dont seem to work, or they warn u to disable.

#3 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

I have been using Vista ULT. for two years. I have used update for that amount of time. I did not turn off my AV or firewall at any time. There was no problem so far.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

Thank you both for your answers, I am so happy to hear that. Looks like I had been misinformed.

Thanks again to both of you.

#5 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

You are very welcome. That's what we do here try to help.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

Turning off the AV/Anti-Spyware is probably one of the worst misinforments anyone can hear. It is not true, I honestly doubt Microsoft would want you dying out there.. There shouldn't even be a need to disable anything during the whole time while your computer is on.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

Turning off the AV/Anti-Spyware is probably one of the worst misinforments anyone can hear. It is not true, I honestly doubt Microsoft would want you dying out there.. There shouldn't even be a need to disable anything during the whole time while your computer is on.

Thank you Swordie.

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Thank you Swordie.

No problem. And if anything ever prompts you to turn off your AV/Anti-Spy, it's most likely a hijacking program or something used to get into your computer. Unless it's a program/operation you are familiar with, I STRONGLY would not advise to disable it.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

No problem. And if anything ever prompts you to turn off your AV/Anti-Spy, it's most likely a hijacking program or something used to get into your computer. Unless it's a program/operation you are familiar with, I STRONGLY would not advise to disable it.

Thanks, I never turn it off, and would never let anything else turn it off, for any reason. If for some reason I was absolutely forced to turn it off, I would only do it after unplugging my modem.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

FWIW: While connected to the Internet, your firewall is the principal means of defense against various forms of malware (e.g., Blaster Worm) so I would not advise disabling it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users