Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

>100% CPU, most of it "System"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BillZ

BillZ

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hi, I'm running XP fully upto date (SP3), Normally run Trend micro internet security, 1Gb RAM and plenty of disk space.
Yesterday on closing had the usual "Fixes to download" and let'em get on with it.

On restarting the system was very slow - could not even get into Task Manager & had to power down as nothing had happened for some minutes.
Ran a virus check in safe mode - might be slightly better or I was getting more patient. Did a scandisk - said that some free space .. didn't get the rest as the screen cleared.
Checked Defrag - not needed
Still no real improvement.
Son suggested running Avast as it has a boot time AV function - downloaded & ran it - a few advertising cookies but nothing else.
Down loaded & ran AdAware - no great revelation.
Have downloaded Hijackthis from Trend Micro & run it But NOT taken any action!
Am running out of ideas, any suggestions welcome
Oh, and I tried to restore, only to find that there were no restore points other than yesterday at 13:57 - may be that's a go-er? If it is as a result of the updates then this might get me back?

Edited by BillZ, 27 February 2009 - 06:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

on closing had the usual "Fixes to download" and let'em get on with it.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean Windows Updates? Let's try this:
--------------------------------

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

---------------------------------
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 BillZ

BillZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Yes I meant Windows/Microsoft Update - some of the fixes only run at close down with all sorts of dire warnings about not powering down etc.

Since posting & before your post, I have downloaded MBAM. I allowed it to update itself & then ran it in a full system check in safe mode, probably overkill, but I wanted as little as possible running in with it. End result Zero problems - it ran for approx 90 minutes.

As to the problem, I am leaning towards some sort of bad update or mismatch in fix levels or drivers.
A bit more info, firstly, I am talking about Image name System & User name System,
the memory usage is low, about 240k,
I/O Reads are low & not incremrenting - 109 last time I was stuck.
If you wait long enough, the CPU drops, though it can flare up again - I just can't see what I've done to annoy it.
The best I can do when it's not responding is listen to the cpu cooler fan wind up.

Does this make any sense? I was about to hit the system restore button on the only restore point that I have, but will hold fire.

Thanks for your response & I like the Grandchildren quote - I've just got my first & it is fun!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

It is better to run Mbam in normal mode

Please update mbam and select FULL Scan
Run the scan, Remove selected and reboot
Post the log for review
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 BillZ

BillZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Ok, loaded MBAM & updated to latest level 1814. Unplugged network cable, disabled AV - I'm paranoid.
Ran MBAM in full mode, 44 minutes later get this:-

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1814
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

02/03/2009 19:31:57
mbam-log-2009-03-02 (19-31-57).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 186483
Time elapsed: 44 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Situation still the same, CPU Blitzes with everything locked & CPU Fan revving up, then all is sweetness & light again!

Is there anyway of seeing what is going under the heading of "System" or is it like other system that I have known where all CPU use not explicitly accounted for is shown as "System"?
Bill

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Is there anyway of seeing what is going under the heading of "System" or is it like other system that I have known where all CPU use not explicitly accounted for is shown as "System"?
Bill

Yes
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Mark
Posted Image

#7 BillZ

BillZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

Tried a restore - I mentioned that all my restore points from before the problem bar one had disappeared - well I tried to restore to the remaining one and it won't work! So it looks like a restore coming up.

Re the Sysinternals Process Explorer, looks like a nice tool, unfortunately my problem is below the radar. I get a whole range of processes running, but the aggregate "System" Cpu is 3-4 times as great as the total of all shown as non zero, and none of them is horrendously high. In the normal course of events, I idle along around the 10% mark give or take until I hit a cpu intensive task such as rotating an image etc. While my problem is occurring, there's not enough CPU to run Process Explorer.

I think that I'll have to bite the bullet & re-install XP. I'll let you know if this works or if it comes back & bites me again. Should get rid of a degree of detritus left by over-entusiastic bits of s/w - why should Crucial leave a bit of code to be loaded every day , just because I once bought memory from them & checked compatibility?
Bye

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

why should Crucial leave a bit of code to be loaded every day , just because I once bought memory from them & checked compatibility?

Yes, if you used their online scanner, I believe you download a small ActiveX control used for the scanner
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users