Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gigabit wired way faster in one direction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

I have 2 PCs on a Netgear Gigabit switch. One dual boots Vista 32 bit and XP Pro and has a Gigabit Wired PCI card. The other PC has gigabit wired integrated interface. When I am on the PC with the PCI card and copy from the other PC I am getting 44 to 49 MB/sec on large files. If I copy in the other direction the throughput is about what I was getting with the 100 Mb interface on XP, and as high as 30 MB/sec from Vista, but dropping down to the 20s or lower at times.

It seems like there should be some way to fix it but I can't figure it out!! Help!! :thumbsup:
At the current time I have Flow Control Enabled on the PCI card and disabled on
the integrated interface. If I try it the other way around I lose the fast copy.

Trouble is I want the copy to be fast to the PC with the integrated interface since
it's a quad core and I want to lob stuff over to it for faster processing. If it's
got to be asymmetrical I'd rather have it in the other direction.

Edited by MilesAhead, 27 February 2009 - 05:24 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

Moderator you can close. Since I updated the PCI card driver I'm getting transfers in line with what the HD on each machine can serve up. Looks like I'm in good shape here. :thumbsup:

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users