Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help loading program into new computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stahlt12345

stahlt12345

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hello. I just got a computer with XP on it. I am trying to load a photo editing program on it from Microsoft. The program says it was designed for Windows 98. I can start the download but when it comes to verifying files for Internet Explorer 5 it stops loading and says it cannot find the files. I have Internet Explorer 7 installed on my pc. Can anyone help me get past this issue?

Thank you so much.
stahlt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

Can you explain a little bit in more detail please, so we can help you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

What program?

Is it on CD or is it a download?

If CD, is it scratched or dirty?

If a download, then you might try downloading it again.

A program designed for Win 98 may not necessarily be compatible with any more recent versions of Windows...have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Louis

#4 stahlt12345

stahlt12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

It is on cd. The cd is in not scratched or dirty. What is compatibility download? I will try it right now and tell you word for word what it says. To be more clear. Okay, the preparing to Install box comes up. Then the welcome screen. The box for typical installation is checked. Then a box comes up saying Ready To Install. In this Ready to Install box there is some information. Which follows. The installation process requires several operating system components, including Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and some additional components not always included in IE5. If your computer does not have the latest versions of these components the Installation Wizard will update them automatically. If your computer has a later version of these components than what is on this cd, the Installation Wizard will leave them alone. Then there is an Install button to click on. Then a box comes up saying Please wait for Install. Then a box comes up Verifying Disk Space for IE5. AT this point a box comes up with a yellow triangle and a black !. At the top it says Windows Update: Internet Explorer and Internet Tools. In the box it says Setup was unable to install all the component. Please close all applications and try running set up again. At the bottom is an OK button. Then another box comes up saying Set up could not retrieve the Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 results, then another OK button. Then a program type box comes up saying Canceling the Installation Wizard and a FINISH button at the bottom. The program is Microsoft Picture It! 2000

Thanks!

Edited by stahlt12345, 27 February 2009 - 08:12 PM.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

It sounds like that is an old program that really wants you to have IE5 on your system and you are running a version that is newer than that. XP comes with IE6 so that program might not be compatible with XP.
As to the compatibility mode, that is something that lets you run a program that is not compatible with your current operating system. Once a program is installed, if it is not working, you can bring up the properties for the program and click on the compatibilty tab and change it to run in the mode for another operating system. I do not know if that is something you can do to a program that is on a cd and not yet installed on your system and even if you could, I really doubt that would solve the problem you are having as it seems your problem is stemming from you not having IE5 on your system and it won't install IE5 because you are running a later version of IE.

Edited by Stang777, 27 February 2009 - 08:25 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

I would say that program is too old to run on XP in anything but compatibility mode (if anything).

Worth a read: Compatibility Mode In XP, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h.../appcompat.mspx

Louis

Additional info: https://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...cr=us&sloc=

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2009 - 08:27 PM.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

Cool Louis, I did not know if the compatibility thing could be done on a CD before installing the program and thanks to the link you posted, now I do. Thank you

#8 stahlt12345

stahlt12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Well, it did sound good Louis. But, I did everything it said and nothing helped it run. So, what do you think about me downloading IE5? Will that make it run? Or, can I even do that...I haven't checked or tried anything yet.

Thanks! Teresa :thumbsup:

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

According to what I found in a Microsoft forum about another Picture It version that was asking for IE5, it should work with XP and you should not need IE5, but you cannot have IE7. If you have IE7 instead of 6 you could try uninstalling that. Pretty much depends on which program is more important to you to have. I cannot find a copy of IE5, but can find everything else. The closest ones are 4.01 SP2 and 5.5 SP2.
If you don't have IE7 or if removing it does not work for you my only advice is to give it up and buy another product similar to it that is new enough to work with XP

I just had a thought as to where you might find IE5 if you really want it. If you have an old copy of Win98 kicking around, it should be on that disk

Edited by Stang777, 28 February 2009 - 12:06 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

Well...I would try to roll back to IE 6, rather than try to install IE 5.

I don't know if IE 5 would be compatible with XP, since I believe it came with IE 6 as the base install.

Louis

#11 shakeherjunk

shakeherjunk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

I'm having the same issue. There has to be easier way to install it without unstalling all the internet explorers. I'm running on IE8 along with XP SP3. I tried to install the software with compatibility mode and it didn't work. Was i supposed to set up without the cd first and then try install it?

#12 stahlt12345

stahlt12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

I was able to get the Microsoft PictureIt! 2000 loaded by loading IE6 and then removing more current version. However, I had another program on my computer that now seems to be MIA. When I try to reload it from cd I get an Error box stating "setup could not find a master file name (*.asu) in setup .ini" then Err-1 Any ideas on getting this to load. I still have IE6 on my pc. In the files for this program there is a setup Notepad. When I open that it show [Packager] Master File= Pawing.asu

Thank you!
Teresa :thumbsup:

#13 shakeherjunk

shakeherjunk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

I was able to get the Microsoft PictureIt! 2000 loaded by loading IE6 and then removing more current version. However, I had another program on my computer that now seems to be MIA. When I try to reload it from cd I get an Error box stating "setup could not find a master file name (*.asu) in setup .ini" then Err-1 Any ideas on getting this to load. I still have IE6 on my pc. In the files for this program there is a setup Notepad. When I open that it show [Packager] Master File= Pawing.asu

Thank you!
Teresa :thumbsup:

I'm just going to ask a question here. Can you install IE6 on top of IE8 to install picture it?

Edited by shakeherjunk, 29 April 2009 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users