Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EIDE & SATA drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 murphkid

murphkid

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

First off, hey there! Hope you can help me with this!

Firstly, I知 not exactly great with installing new parts on computers etc. But I do have a half decent knowledge of computers in general, and I知 always ready to get stuck in and try something out. I recently installed some new RAM on my PC, as 512mb wasn稚 enough to run the music sequencers I use properly. Upgraded that to 2 gig and all is well!

The next thing to tackle was the hard drive space. I had the computer built by someone I knew, and seeing as I was saving money at the time, I only had a 60gig master and 20-gig slave put in. These are nowhere near big enough seeing as I知 doing so much music work, using large amounts of .wav files etc.

So I checked on the box of the motherboard (ASRock P4VM890), and it said 2 x Serial ATA 1.5 Gb/s connectors. This made me (foolishly) assume the two drives in my computer were SATA I drives. I read online and found that SATA II drives would still work but just operate at the SATA I speed. So I ordered a 500 gig SATA II drive and yesterday I opened up my computer to discover the drives in there are EIDE hard drives because the cables were completely different to what would fit the drive I had bought! :thumbsup: <Gutted.

So I came to the conclusion it obviously supports both. My plan was to keep the operating system and music software programs on the 60 Gig master that's in there, and keep it as that. Then have all of my recording sessions kept on the 500 Gig SATA as a slave.

So after allllllll that rambling on here's my question... Is it possible for me to keep the 60 gig as the master drive without taking anything off of there (most importantly windows XP, as I don't have the disk), and hook up my new 500 gig as a slave drive, and just keep the 20 gig in a box for a spare or whatever?
Also, would running my projects from the slave drive cause any reduction in speed or is this not an issue?

Hope you can help! (And sorry about the essay, I just wanted to make sure you could tell I知 not that great with computers)

Thanks. Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi Chris

You don't need to remove either of the drives unless you physically don't have space for a 3rd drive.
IDE drives need to be configured (via jumpers on the drive). If you only have one drive connected to the IDE interface then that is configured as the master. If you have two drives connected (as in your case), one will be configured as the master and the other as the slave.

SATA drives are totally different beasts. There are no masters or slaves. Basically it's one drive per SATA interface and they can be fitted in addition to the IDE drives.

You said that your motherboard has two SATA interfaces, therefore you could fit two extra drives if you so wished.

Edited by SLIX, 27 February 2009 - 11:56 AM.

Steve

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

One more tidbit of info,

You said the motherboard has SATA 1.5 & you bought a SATA 3.0 .

Some of the SATA 3.0 drives are automatically backward compatible & some have a jon the back that has to be set properely to be backwards compatible & work at 1.5 .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users