Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dial up modem connects, explorer does not

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sdsman

sdsman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

Recently my system acted up and I suspected the power supply. I replaced it and found some disk errors, corrected them. Suddenly I had issues shutting down the system and the program iptray would not stop. I couldn't even remove iptray because the program would hang. I was able to take care of all that and the system seems stable. I only have dial up at home (No DSL or Cable within a mile of my house). The phone lines are bad (31.2 is best speed I've ever gotten). I tried to dial up my provider and the modem connects, gets an IP and I receive 267 bytes. When I open any application (firefox, explorer, AVG) that needs to attach to the connection, nothing happens. From the command prompt, I try to ping the gateway and I get no response.
I've reinstalled the modem, repaired XP home, swapped PCI ports for modem. Run winsockxpfix, installed windows network tools and run netsh reset, readded my network connection. I've checked the eventlogs and the only error I find if NTPclient unable to contact time server. This has got me stumped.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Intel BOXDP35DPM LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD Burner
Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B for System Builders 1 Pack

Thanks
Frustrated in NJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320558
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users