Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel file missing--How do I get back?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

:thumbsup: Well, I feel really foolish. Sometime ago thought deleted Excel because didn't ever plan on using it & assumed (there's that word) was on my WinXP CD which Dell sent me. Now I've rec'd Excel docs. & when I clicked on it get error msg saying I don't have an SKU112.CAB file. I thought it would be on my WinXP CD and was surprised when it wasn't. I then searched to see if I had any Excel files and sure nuff did but the folder that says Excel has nothing in it. What the heck is a CAB file anyway?

Well, had searched using Windows Search and it pulled up a few files. Then as I was writing this msg used Google Desktop and it pulled up 59 files including the .exe file. So don't know if it's just the SKU112.CAB file that I need. How in the heck do I get that file? Also when I went into the .exe file to see if it really was there, Windows Installer wouldn't let me cancel out. Ran the Installer several xs before could get out of there. Do you think Windows Installer is bad? Appreciate any help.

Running XP Professional

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crzyallday0514

crzyallday0514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Does anyone have any answer for this? I need to try & open those docs by tomorrow? If noone knows, do you know where I go to find that missing .CAB file? Thanks. Any response would be highly appreciated.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

You could install OpenOffice, which can read Excel spreadsheet files.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:47 AM

I personally don't like OpenOffice very much (imho, the only benefit is it's free of charge), but in you case it's the way to go, if you don't haму MS Office

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users