Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

loading discs freezes computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 the_moose

the_moose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

Sorry about this, some time ago I posted this and thought I'd got it sorted, but I haven't! I couldn't find the original thread this time so I'm having to start again.

I've got a Dell with two CD ROM trays, and whenever I try to load any disc (CD, DVD, CD ROM, either new or burned) the computer freezes - the cursor/arrow won't move, Ctrl/Alt/Del won't do anything, and I have to turn the whole thing off and start again. It normally takes 5-10 goes before the disc will load ok, and there's no indication of what the problem was. Some time ago there was a suggestion that it might have been my Norton AV interfering with it, and I disabled this when I was installing discs and it seemed to improve things, but not by a lot - the difference between taking 3 and 10 goes to load a disc sounds good but it's still frustrating! I uninstalled the Norton the other day to see if that was the problem, but it didn't make any difference at all - no discs worked straight away, and it took me nearly half an hour to get the Norton disc back in and loaded!

I don't use a lot of discs, which is why I haven't put as much effort into sorting this out as I should have, but I've promised my son that I'll do my best this time....so any help would be really appreciated, thanks. Please could any advice be in simple steps, cos I'm not much good on the old keyboard, if you get my drift! :thumbsup:

Cheers in advance for any help, Moose. :flowers:

In case it matters, the computer is a Dell 8300 with a Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz, 512RAM, the disc drives are _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD, and HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B with MS XP Pro SP2, and as you will guess I copied that all from somewhere...if you need to know any more about the computer I will do my best to find it out!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:58 PM

I think it may be your cd drives........maybe they crashed.

I would suggest taking it to a repair shop and let them mess with it a little and see if its a hardware problem.

#3 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for the reply...I'll try that. Cheers, Moose

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:07 AM

the_moose

I found this article on the web that might help you with your issue:

Inserting a blank CD locks up the whole system

EDIT by Joshuacat: After looking at this again, you may want to just stick to # 7 for now, some of the other suggestions may be a little extreme for some. Post back after you try this, and we can guide you to the next suggestion.

You did not mention the software that you use to burn DVD's and CD's.
Please reply back with the list.

I think there may be conflicts between the burning software you have installed.

Let us know.

Edited by Joshuacat, 12 June 2005 - 07:17 AM.

JC

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:54 AM

Dear Moose,

I hate to say this but if it is a Dell, they have a customer service line.

Ok that said...

If you have not called Dell then you must have upgraded out of their warranty?

No problem.

Do both drives work with any kind of data or music CD? Does it work with a store bought movie DVD?

It could be a hardware problem but why spend the money to have someone tell you it was a software issue?

Need more information to help you.

Have you loaded any programs before you had a problem?

Are you trying to copy or read copyrighted material (PM me if you have a problem answering this)?

There are more smarter people here then at any repair shop. And guess what? We are international!! :thumbsup:

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users