Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run out of space on hardrive - Need to clear

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 KirstenR

KirstenR

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

Hi,

Before I start, please forgive me for my lack of technical terminology, as I am not very experienced with the technical side of computers.

I was given an Acer Aspire Laptop from my father a couple of years ago, who informed me to save everything on my D drive as the C drive was only very small. Although I have always downloaded programmes onto my D drive, the C drive now has virtually no space. I have been through the files and deleted as much as I dare, but I still have barely any space.

I have also attempted to de-frag it, only to be told that there is not enough space to complete the process properly. A colleague of mine told me that years ago there used to be a programme called Quakermass that would search your computer for unused files and then advise you of whether they were safe to remove or not without removing something that helps another programme work. Is there another programme like this that would help me make space?

I beleive the hard drive has been partitioned into 2. Ideally, if possible, I would like to re-partition the hard drive, increasing the size of the C drive, therefore creating enough space to de-frag and to avoid this problem happening in the future.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, with the ideas I have for clearing it, therefore any advice on how to do the above or with better ways to sort my problem out would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:34 AM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

TreeSize Free

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

let's find out where all that space went

Show Hidden Folders/Files
  • Open My Computer.
  • Go to Tools > Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Scroll down to Hidden files and folders.
  • Select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck (untick) Hide extensions of known file types.
  • Uncheck (untick) Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Click Yes when prompted.
  • Click OK.
  • Close My Computer.

Be careful many of these files and folders are critical and we need to just see their size
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

The first recourse would be to use the Windows Disk Ceanup utility (Accessories/Stystem Tools/Disk Cleanup) which will free up some space, depending on how you set it up to run. Another step, especially if you download many applications, are to find the original zipped files which (once the application is installed) can either be deleted to moved to disk. If you have not done so, going to add/remove programs in your control panel, and then sorting them by frequency of use, might suggest some applications that you really don't use that can be deleted from there.

I am not sure what the contents of the two drives are. It may well be that one of these is the source for restoring your computer to its original factory condition, and this drive should be left alone in that case. What are the sizes of the two drives, and how much of each is free (or the contrary, how much is used)?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

Nero vision crashed on my computer during a video conversion, it left 4 gigs of temp files in

C:\Documents and Settings\Chewy\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision

I quit using it after that

SP3 ate up an extra gig or so in the windows folder, I had to live with that
Chewy

#5 KirstenR

KirstenR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for your advice, sorry it took so long to reply but I didnt have my laptop with me.

John, the C drive is 9.26GB with only 714MB clear, the D drive is 80.9GB with 59.3GB spare. I do the Windows Disc Cleanup on a regular basis as I am prompted to do it cos there is so little space. I wouldnt really know what or where the zipped files are to be able to copy them to disc.

Chewy, I have followed your instructions, so far the ATF Cleaner did clear quite a lot of files but only from the D drive. When I downloaded TreeSize Free it became clear that most of the space is taken up with Windows files. Did you want to see the list? (Its massive). Also, when I followed your instructions to see the hidden files it didnt seem to do anything. Can you tell me what detail u need to see?

Thanks

Kirsten

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

I just wanted you to use the tool to see where the space was going

How big is your windows folder?
Chewy

#7 KirstenR

KirstenR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

4,171MG

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:56 AM

sizes please
just on C

Documents and Settings

pagefile.sys

Program Files
Chewy

#9 KirstenR

KirstenR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Documents & Settings: 337MB
Program Files: 606MB
pagefile.sys: 1572 MB
hiberfil.sys: 1046MB

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

Leave the power adapter plugged in and turn off hibernate(see help and support), that will free up a gig and you should be able to defrag

Read up on it a little, it's mostly useful for laptops to save battery power for extended sessions

Monitor the performance tab in task manager and you might benefit from lowering the minimum page file size

It shouldn't be 1.5 gigs if you have a gig already unless you do a lot of photoshop or something that takes a ton of ram and swap file

You could even set the swap file to D drive, but I don't like doing that when D is on the same physical drive as C

There's a rather advanced new tutorial here for resizing partitions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/resizing-adding-partitions-with-gparted-live/
Chewy

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

FWIW: How can I remove the hiberfil.sys file from my system - http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Articl...7585/27585.html

Louis

#12 KirstenR

KirstenR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

This is driving me nuts, I cant access the power options. Im sure Im the administrator as Im the only user account on it. Think I need to contact my father to make sure. Can I delete the hiberfil file? I dont need the hibernate option as the battery is dead and I permenantly have the power cable in.

Sorry to be such a pain and thank you all for yiur help so far.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

Many laptops have power saving programs, try to see if one of them has taken over the windows settings
Chewy

#14 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

I believe you can delete the Hibernation file by going into Disk Cleanup (Windows, just right click C: *on my computer* and then properties, then it should be in the 2nd tab. Says Disk Clean Up.)

You can include that file to delete when your in the window, then just delete it from there.
And If you wanted to, i'd suggest backing up all your stuff, and just repartition your two drives into one. That way, you will never need to fuss with C: or D:.

Edited by Swordie, 28 February 2009 - 06:17 PM.

Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users