Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hey! I just recently tried to install Ad-aware, and ZoneAlarm. They both downloaded to my desk top ok. But, then the initializing wize wizard hangs, and will not continue to load! :thumbsup:
I turned off all other running programs. Removed the downloads, and tried again, with no luck.
I use Adaware, ZoneAlarm, Spybot, SpySubtract, SpyGuard, A-Squared, Ewido, AVG, and SpywareBlaster. O/S 2000 pro. All kept updated.
Any ideas?!? :flowers: Thanks....dpb......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:27 PM

Have you tried to install them in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:06 PM

Hey! I just recently tried to install Ad-aware, and ZoneAlarm. They both downloaded to my desk top ok. But, then the initializing wize wizard hangs, and will not continue to load! :thumbsup:
I turned off all other running programs. Removed the downloads, and tried again, with no luck.
I use Adaware, ZoneAlarm, Spybot, SpySubtract, SpyGuard, A-Squared, Ewido, AVG, and SpywareBlaster. O/S 2000 pro. All kept updated.
Any ideas?!? :flowers: Thanks....dpb......

Why you want to install Ad-aware, and Zone Alarm.?When you say you have: Ad aware, Zone-Alarm, Spy bot, Spy Subtract, Spy Guard, A-Squared, Ewido, AVG, and SpywareBlaster? I shure do not understand the question JL

#4 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:02 AM

tg1911. Thanks for following up and trying to help! And yes I did try to install while in safe mode. Again no luck. :thumbsup: Any other ideas?
I did notice that during the failed installation, my HD sounds like in may be in a loop.
It makes the same sound over and over. As if it's trying to access something. Does this mean anything? ......dpb......

And to answer chicha1977.... I'm trying to install the latest updates for Adaware and Zonealarm. Thanks for the inquiry though. I appreciate all the input!

#5 madestmax

madestmax

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:38 AM

Maybe all the other spyware and anti virus software is hanging it up. Try downloading, and then get off the internet. And then shut down all the other anti spyware and virus software. Then try installing it.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:30 AM

In the info for the latest version of AdAware I think it says you must delete the old version before installing it. Did you do this? Not sure if that applies to Zone Alarm though.
Repeating hard drive noise could indicate read errors. Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
[list]

[*]Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

[*]Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
Safe Mode
How to find scandisk:
Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

[*]When that's finished do a defrag.
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

[*]Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:25 PM

Hey Rimmer! Thanks so very much for your ideas. They've fixed my pc, and now adaware and zonealarm installed with out a problem. :thumbsup:
You can't imagine how many other forums I've worked with. I've been given so many different things to try, including posting several HJT log files, with out any luck!
It's amazing how going back to the basics will do so much.
I'm going to keep a separate folder with all the great ideas, that I receive form this forum, kept there for future reference.
Again thanks........dpb.......

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:31 AM

That's good news, thanks for letting us know! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

Hey Rimmer! Thanks so very much for your ideas. They've fixed my pc, and now adaware and zonealarm installed with out a problem. :thumbsup:
You can't imagine how many other forums I've worked with. I've been given so many different things to try, including posting several HJT log files, with out any luck!
It's amazing how going back to the basics will do so much.
I'm going to keep a separate folder with all the great ideas, that I receive form this forum, kept there for future reference.
Again thanks........dpb.......

Congrats on fixing your compu DPB
Do you now what really fixed ? or you fallowed all the steps suggested by AR good teacher Rimmer? JL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users