Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop not loading properly and no text strings appear

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelJD

MichaelJD

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

My computer is suddenly not loading the desktop in windows XP. When I enter my password on the load up screen the system tray items flick across the lower ststus bar and when the dektop loads only the items are showinh with no text strings. When I try and open any dialogue box noo text i shown. On the start button the pop up box appears with icons on the left but only text for internet explorer and outlook and a totally black box on the right.

Internet explorer opens and works but there is no text in the address bar at the top or in the favorites box (again only icons).

I have tried to load in safe mode but only "safe mode" appears in the corners of a black screen with a warning dialogue box which has no text showing.

I have run spybot search and destroy from the desktop which ran ok but then "encountered an error and had to be shut down" when I tried to clean two folders it found - MyWay and Right Media. I also tried to run PC-Cillin but this was taking so much longer than usual then got stuck after 181 files so I stopped the process.

Any help on what to do next would be very appreciated

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

I suggest BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

#3 MichaelJD

MichaelJD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

Ok - I will post on there.

thanks

Mike