Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 davies101

davies101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:31 AM

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options in control panel." This is the error message i get when i try open shortcuts such as my computer, my documents, control panel. only system shortcuts not .exe shortcuts. This came about when i logged on one day and it said my registry had been changed, I've tried playing around in shortcut settings and folder options etc, there is nothing there that can work. if i go into the shortcuts properties and say open with windows explorer, it works but it won't allow me to always open with windows explorer. i am guessing there is a registry entry changed, does anyone know what key i might have to change to fix this? Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:01 AM

Try a system restore to a point just before the issue started.
From Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, pick a point closet to when you noticed the problem.
Follow the prompts, the computer will reboot, you will be told either it was successful or not.
If it is, see if function is restored.
Please post back and let us know whether it was or wasn't.

#3 davies101

davies101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

Sorry forgot to mention that i had already tried that, and it said restore was unsucesful, and then all the history of system restores got deleted, so that out of the question. thanks

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:14 AM

Download TweakUI from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

After install, open it from start menu. Select Desktop and uncheck all Icons. Click Apply. Now check them all and click Apply.

#5 davies101

davies101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:38 AM

Hi thankyou for the tip, that sort of helped, i did it and it put those icons on desktop - which work. but that didn't fix my registry so that everything else works. my quick launch my computer and start menu my computer etc still doesn't work and i can't make a shortcut of the good one.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:00 AM

If you have the installation CD try using the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 davies101

davies101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:03 AM

K thankyou, but that didn't work either lol. didn't appear to do anything altho it said it fixed an error which must be good. any more ideas?

#8 davies101

davies101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

i'm presuming theres a registry entry that needs to be changed, so if anyone out there is a registry expert - feel free to have an input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users