Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone have a Dell 2408WFP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

I thought I was pretty sold on getting myself a Samsung 2493HM, but shoot, now I find myself looking at S-PVA monitors again, ignoring the slightly slower response times. Of all the LCDs I've been looking at and reading about, the Dell 2408WFP stands out as not only the best one of the best, but also very affordable (if you consider $500 affordable). Everything about it seems great EXCEPT for one glaring problem: input lag. I know it's the nature of VA screens to have worse input lag time than TN screens, but there's been an awful lot of noise about it. I even saw a YouTube video demonstrating it and, I have to say, it's a definite concern. Dell, however, has claimed that their upgraded A01 revision of the display resolved the issue, among others. I'm having a difficult time finding reviews or what people have thought of the A01 version. I'd hate to be playing a game and get killed because I didn't see an enemy pop up until a few frames later. I really want this monitor for not only its sheer size, but also terrific colors and especially the viewing angles.

I want to hear from anyone out there who has this display, particularly the gamers. Do you have the A00 or A01 version? (From what I've learned, the A01 was released in May of 2008). Did the A01 really fix the problem? Am I blowing this out of proportion? Are there other alternatives that don't suffer from input lag problems but still use a VA-based screen?

Thanks in advance!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:08 AM

that monitor is definetly not the best of the best, I would not waste 500 bucks on it. my viewsonic beats it in nearly everything except size, let me give you a comparison with that vs, say my monitor.

Viewsonic vx2260wm 22 inch widescreen Dell 2408WFP?
size 22inch 24 inches only 2 inches bigger
native resolution: 1920 x 1080 1920 x 1200 notch higher res, not much
Contrast ratio: 20,000:1 3,000:1 pitiful contrast ratio
Response time: 2ms 6 ms viewsonic has 3 times better response time
1080p yes yes
viewing ange: 179 degrees 178 degrees 1 degree difference
color support 16.1 m 16.7 not even a noticeble difference here

as you can see the viewsonic 22 inch monitor is very comparible to the 24 inch dell, and the veiwsonic is at least half the price. its only 2 inches smaller, with a slightly smaller resolution, the viewsonics contrast ration alone makes the dells look sad, and if your looking to game the 6ms response time will kill you. as far as viewable angle, no real difference there, and the dell has slightly better color support but its so minimal Im willin to bet you wont even be able to tell with the naked eye. Im not saying you should buy viewsonic, Im saying you can find a better monitor for 500 bucks. even that samsung is better, same resolution, but with a 10,000:1 contras ratio, but it still suffers in the response time, it is only 5 ms. and the viewing angle is considerably less (160 degrees) If you want my recomendation for a good 24 inch monitor, this acer looks promising http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824009164 this samsung (its currently out of stock but if u can get ur hands on it would be a good deal) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001295 and last but not least, this one has a 2ms response time with a 10,000:1 contrast ration and really good reviews, in fact if I were to purchase a new 24 inch monitor it would prolly be this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824005113.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

that monitor is definetly not the best of the best, I would not waste 500 bucks on it. my viewsonic beats it in nearly everything except size, let me give you a comparison with that vs, say my monitor.

Viewsonic vx2260wm 22 inch widescreen Dell 2408WFP?
size 22inch 24 inches only 2 inches bigger
native resolution: 1920 x 1080 1920 x 1200 notch higher res, not much
Contrast ratio: 20,000:1 3,000:1 pitiful contrast ratio
Response time: 2ms 6 ms viewsonic has 3 times better response time
1080p yes yes
viewing ange: 179 degrees 178 degrees 1 degree difference
color support 16.1 m 16.7 not even a noticeble difference here

OK, it's not the best of the best, of course, that's probably reserved for those NEC MultiSync displays, but those cost a pretty penny.

As for your Viewsonic VX2260WM, you neglected to mention that it's a TN-based panel, and that's a no go for me. The viewing angle on that, I'm sorry to say, is exaggerated as ANY TN-based LCD is known to have limited viewing angles. About the only plus that TN-based panels have over VA and IPS panels is that they have faster response times. Nowadays, though, VA panels are closing the gap and I'm seeking one of them.

And yeah, that 2" extra of real estate matters to me as it carries a higher resolution and creates a better gaming experience, it's a personal preference. You'd be surprised what I can spot with the naked eye, but I won't bore you with that.

Edited by Venek, 27 February 2009 - 10:02 AM.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:27 AM

lol well its all up to you, if you want that extra 2 inches, thats your call, as far as my TN panel is concerned, it works extremely well. the 179 degree viewing angle is not an exageration, I can tell you that from experience. also very low glare. I loooove my monitor, and I do do a lot of gaming, Im just pointing out that 1920 by 1200 is really not much larger then 1920 x1080. different people have different likes, its up to you, the last monitor I listed though, the LG 24 inch, I still personally think would suit your needs much better-cheaper, yet still with the 1920 x 1200 resolution you want and the 24 inches, all the full color, and a better contrast ratio, and faster response time, which will help you out in game tremendously. Trust me, faster the response time on the monitor, the better off you will be. 5-6ms is average at best with 24 inch monitors. now you can find the 24 inch with faster response times, but thats partly why I went 22 inch-a 2ms response time is easier to come by with a 22 inch. I just have one rule of thumb: you need to be happy with what you buy, I added my two cents, so happy shopping. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

Thanks but no thanks. Actually, I'm not going with the Dell anymore, I found something better: the HP LP2475w

I was very concerned about the input lag that the Dell had, even with its A01 revision, so I did some more hunting. I went to the terrific TFT Central website (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/) and used their search function to narrow down the list to a specific few monitors. Dell was one of them, but the HP was another. It's a bit more expensive (around $600) but has had very high marks all around. Their H-IPS (by LG) panel technology may be a harbinger of things to come with very nice response times and better input lag than VA panels. Throw in great viewing angles, accurate colors and a plethora of connections, you have the makings of what could end up becoming a legendary monitor in terms of breakthrough. It's even future-proofed with a DisplayPort connection.

So, I'm going to wait until my next paycheck and get this sucker, along with a Spyder2Express monitor calibration tool to get near-accurate colors (it's $70, not exactly designed with the professional in mind, but suits home consumers/amateur digital imagers perfectly).

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:17 AM

glad you found one that works. I personally cant justify spending 600 bucks on a monitor, but its your monitor and your the one who needs to be happy with it. enjoy :D

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users