Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ShadeDK

ShadeDK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:54 PM

Hello all!

Now that summer has finally reached New England, I have the sneaking suspicion my computer has fallen into an old habit. The house I live in, on warm days such as today, becomes nearly as hot as it is outside. Because of this, my computer seems to freeze up often during certain applications, especially when I'm trying to play a game.

I downloaded a fan program and it says that my computer runs at nearly 100F, or 37C, consistently. Now after doing some web searching, it seems computers don't 'overheat' and shut down til into the high 110's. But my computer doesn't shut down - it freezes up. And when I take the side panel off my comp, it does seem to help wth heating and the computer won't lock up as often.

So, am I right to assume my problem is due to overheating, and if so, is there much I can do about it? I admit I can install a double case fan instead of the single I have - I can't simply install another single because my motherboard won't support it. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Shade

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:42 PM

I suggest you install as many fans as you can.
Also, make sure your cables aren't blocking airflow to the processor.

Spyware/malware can also cause freezing problems.
Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)
aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Edited by tg1911, 05 June 2005 - 02:42 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:47 PM

What sort of computer do you have?
what program are you using to monitor temperatures?
37C is cool for a computer, mine does not even notify me unless the processor is over 70C, but you are probably looking at case temperature - mine is around 38C at the moment (its getting cool here).
Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download
Temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are shown under Computer>Sensor.
This will give you a much better idea what is going on inside your PC.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:47 AM

You may try adding an external room fan blowing onto your tower/s this will help keep the surrounding ambient air temperature lower.

My computer room has poor air circulation and I have found this helps considerably.

#5 ShadeDK

ShadeDK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for all of the replies thus far. I'll try to reply to all of them so far in one post.

I run Spyware Doctor, and although I don't know how this ranks with the spyware stuff you listed, I find it effective and after running it yesterday, I found no problematic things.

There is only one cable which blocks a bit of the airway for my processor fan, but there's nothing I can do to solve this. It's the smaller power supply cable which has to cross from the front of the power supply box back towards the backside of the motherboard. At worst it only covers 25% of the area of the processor fan. I do admit I can get another box fan - but to do that I'll have to upgrade to one that has two fans in one. I don't have a motherboard connector for a second single box fan.

As for what kind of computer do I have, that's rather open ended. I bought mine as a kit, and since then have had to replace a few parts randomly. Can you be more specific as to what you need to know? The processor is an AMD XP Athlon, 1100 MHz. As processors rank, it really isn't that powerful and I find it hard to believe it's causing my comp to overheat. After downloading the Everest program (which is simply amazing), it lists a CPU temp of 29C and a harddrive temp of 34C. These are considerably lower than yesterday because 1.) the house is cooler overall, and 2.) the side of my tower is still off. If I had to approximate, I think my comp starts freezing up though when the CPU temp reaches 38C, which still shouldn't be nearly enough for a comp to overheat?

I can purchase an outside fan just for my computer, but I'm not sure how much that would help without the tower's face plate being off, which I'd rather not do as a permanent solution. Have you had luck with this method even with the tower side on? How big of a fan do you use?

Thanks!

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

Your CPU is so cool its practically got ice on the heatsink - I'm told Athlons do run very cool, but to start locking up at 38C is very strange. Maybe it is defective.

My only suggestion would be to check carefully the airflow in your case, not how many fans you have but in what direction they are blowing. The idea is to remove hot air from around the CPU heatsink and replace it with room temperature air, so its best if some fans blow air in to the case and others blow air out, creating a continual 'breeze' across the area of the CPU. If your graphics card and PSU 'box in' the CPU it wont matter how many case fans you have the breeze wont remove the hot air from round the CPU. In that case it may be possible to relocate your case fan to help move the hot air away. The side panel of your case is part of the air-flow design and if everything is set up the right way your CPU should run cooler with the cover on than off.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

Dear Shade,

Rimmer is right, 38C on the CPU is a gamers dream.

I had the same sort of problem you have though. My Antec 550 was pushing 13.8vdc and when it was hot outside my computer would shut off.

After contacting Antec they immediately told me to return the power supply to them.

You could have the same problem. Check Everest for your power supply voltage.

You should be running between 11.7 to 12.6 vdc at anytime.

Also, make sure you have a good exit fan on the back of your case, so you get suck power.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users