Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Joomla!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hey everyone,

Has anyone ever used Joomla?

I am trying to add a YouTube video to the frontpage, i have found modules and components to do this for version 10.5 but can't find one that will do it for 10.0. Also i am trying to create a multi stage menu bar (or a drop down menu, using ajax or javascript). Have found some plugins to do this but they have been a waste of time.

Any help, or if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Last I checked Joomla was free - why not upgrade to 10.5?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

Has anyone ever used Joomla?

Yes. I maintain a website that was done in Joomla, and I am not a fan of it at all. You need to remember that all Joomla does is create the code (in PHP) that in turn creates the webpage. A PHP page is simply HTML with PHP script in it. If you know what page represents the home page, you can edit it by hand and simply add the HTML code to embed the YouTube video. It would sure be easier than trying to figure out how to use a plug in. If you go to the page for the youtube video, they even give you the code. For instance:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMsnqQHOwFg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMsnqQHOwFg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just put that in the page where you want it. It should take all of 5 minutes.

Do you you have an example of the menubar that you are trying to emulate so that I can see it?

#4 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for your fast replies.

I have to use Joomla 10.0 as i have plugins that only work with 10.0 which the customer requires.

Also i have tried to input the <embed> code from youtube into the main page, all i get is a * though instead of the movie. i look at the code and it looks ok.

would i have to enter it like this maybe?

?>
<Youtube code>
<?php 

I do rather wordpress to joomla, but the company i am working for has now changed over to joomla, which i have no clue why!

I know with wordpress just add a widget with the code from youtube in it and save. That's a lot easier than trying to find a compatible plugin, then understanding how it works.

Difference between the two that is confusing me is:

wordpress has plugins and themes.

joomla has components, modules, mambots and templates.

Very confusing!

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#5 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

for some reason BC won't let me edit my last post, but the sort of menu i am looking for is similar to this: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/...downcontrol.htm

#6 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Still can't edit, so here's the update.

I tried
?>
<Youtube code>
<?php 
but it didn't work... :thumbsup:

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

Wordpress and Joomla are two very different applications. Wordpress is merely a blogging tool and is not meant to create full-fledged web pages. Joomla creates dynamic web pages; that is what the PHP is for. Additionally, it incorporates tons of javascript functionality. Joomla is a content management system. No comparison. Wordpress is meant for someone with little experience to have a web presence. Joomla is a real tool for developers. You are going to need to spend time with the Joomla tutorials. Their documentation is good.

Are you embedding the code between php tags? Like this:
<?php 
<html to embed youtube video>
?>

I would really have to see your code in order to see what is going on.

As far as dong the menu, you can do it the same way.

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

If you want to create a community/network with memberships area, news, forums, articles, etc… then Joomla is a good choice!

Wordpress, however, is a basic blogging system. As far as I have heard, you can be listed in Google in 2 days.

edit:typo

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 26 February 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#9 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

no i am not putting it between php tags, i was thinking coz the pages are made in php should i put the close tag in, then the html for the video, then the <?php tag to start it again?

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

Each section of php has to be enclosed by the opening and closing tags. If you didn't do that, then yes, you were putting the code inside the php tags.

#11 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

i eventually found a plugin called AllVideos which was simple to install and set up. works nicely... would be better if you could just add the <embed> code from youtube in though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users