Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOS copy problem HELP !

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 altec

altec

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

I ha ve tried to copy a folder to another drive. I have done this command :

copy c:\source d:\destination

But the destination folder did not exist so it copy the source (a folder containing multiple files) to a FILE. So, the file is not a folder !!! I cannot read the destination because it is not a folder anymore. What can I do to make the destination file a folder and have access to the files that are in it ???

please help me because now I have no way to retreive this information

Thank you !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

you are lucky you used copy command because your source files have not been altered. what you need to do is delete your destination file and use the "xcopy /i/e" command instead. this will check to see if what you are copying is many files/folders and if so it automatically assumes you want the destination as a folder containing those files so it creates the folder.

If however you didnít keep the source folder. Sadly you have 3-5 options.
1. Recreate all your files from scratch.
2. if the files were all text files (not documents) open that destination file with Notepad and you might get lucky with most if not all the files contents.
3. if you have a backup (which Iím sure you donít if your asking) restore the backup risk losing some files which might not have been backed up.
4. Pay professional company to try and restore the link between the files and their FAT location (NOT Easy, NOT Cheap, And NOT always Possible)
5. Say to yourself Oh well better luck next time.

I realize this doesnít sound like news you want to hear.
This option would be really nice to have for people who do use copy command. And if Microsoft wasnít so hush hush about how it deals with folder design it probably would be able to be done.
BTW renaming the file to .dir, .FOLDER, .Directory will NOT work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users