Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP gets random BSOD on startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rauchster

Rauchster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

HP Pavilion Laptop zv5060us
3.6Ghz Pentium 4
1Gb RAM
Windows XP Home w/ SP3

As a starting point of information. I have had to replace the HDD in this computer twice in 2.5 years. Was replaced last in May '08.

Recently, I had experienced a period of startups where the computer would blue screen real quick in the middle of the bootup. It did the same BSOD every startup at the same spot. Did a Windows Repair via the startup disks, and the computer booted fine three tiems after taht.

Then the weird things started to happen.

Boot 4 after Windows Repair: No Video. Windows booted successfully, as I could hear the Windows Startup sound when it reached that point. As well as the Windows Shutdown sound when I tapped the power button.

Boot 5 after Windows Repair: BSOD during the Windows Splash Screen, unknown code

Boot 6: BSOD during the playing of the Windows Sound, Code 0x4F

Boot 7: BSOD during the Windows Welcome Screen, Code 0x50

Boot 8: BSOD immediately following BIOS splash screen, Code 0x7B

Boot 9: BSOD during Windows Loading splash screen (Loading Bar screen), Code 0x8E

Boot 10: Windows booted successfully, AVG Anti-Virus errored out during startup.

Boot 11-12-13-14-15: Windows booted successfully. No anomalies detected.

Boot 16: Windows booted successfully. Winlogon crashed immediately after Windows start, forcing immediate Windows shutdown.

Boot 17: C:/windows/system32/config/system missing. Failed to boot.

Boot 18: Windows booted successfully. No anomalies detected.

--------------------------------------

Several different Anti-Virus/Malware/Spyware programs detect nothing wrong, and computer shows no real virus activity or symptoms.

BSOD codes don't lead to anything specific.

Memtest86 passes (Tried on 3 different occasions with all three ways of putting in RAM)

Chkdsk shows no errors.

Drivers are all accurate and up-to-date.

BIOS version is the most recent.

Nothing has really been changed in the past few days except for security software updates, and a Windows update or two.

----------------------------------------

I honestly have no idea where to go from here.
Perhaps some wiser soul out there has an idea that makes sense.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

This is, IMO, the most significant error:

Boot 8: BSOD immediately following BIOS splash screen, Code 0x7B

It means that the boot device on your system isn't accessible.

So, the first thing to try would be a bootable hard drive diagnostic. A listing of the more common ones is in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If the test passes, then it's time to go into the Recovery Console (tutorial here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ ) and run several commands:

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

CHKDSK /R

Press Enter after each one and answer "Y" (for Yes) to each of the dire warnings that it gives you.

Post back and let us know what happened.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users