Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wuauclt.exe...have to make this go away

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PlagueRages

PlagueRages

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

Okay guys. This one has stumped me for a while now. When I start up a certain computer that has been joined to the domain, an error message pops up and says, "Wuauclt.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." This happens every time I turn on the computer. I dont click on anything else, this just pops up over and over.
I did some research and the executable application wuauclt.exe has to do with windows updates. So my guess is that every time this computer reaches to the microsoft update page, which it tries to do over and over, this will pop up. I tried opening up the security center and turning off automatic updates, but that didnt do anything. I also tried replacing the executable from a windows xp install disc. Just to let you all know the computer is running windows xp of course :thumbsup:.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

I did some research and the executable application wuauclt.exe has to do with windows updates.

Not necessarily. Check the file path

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

http://www.file.net/process/wuauclt.exe.html

Edited by garmanma, 26 February 2009 - 04:44 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Okay let's start with the obvious. Does this particular computer have internet access? If so, what browser are you using? If it is IE, can you go into Internet Options and set up the Windows Update website as "Trusted"?
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#4 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

Okay Garmanma. It looks like it might be a startup .exe. But the weird thing is every time I try to go to the microsoft update site it just says page cannot be displayed. the file path is: C:\WINDOWS\system32. Just to add we have reinstalled windows XP on it 3 times now. And yes, the browser I am using is IE.

#5 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Okay guys, good news. The weird thing is I tried to get into the site http://update.microsoft.com more than just once and it let me in. What it does is, as soon as I click on the link it says "Wuauclt.exe has encountered an error and needs to close." about 4-5 times and after the 5th time it lets me in. So im installing windows updates now and am going to see if that does anything.

#6 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Okay, more bad news. While it was trying to update it gave me this error "Generic Host Process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close." And then on the page itself it says "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page." It gave me an error number in the top left hand corner of the page: 0x80070410.

edit: I also have enabled http://update.microsoft.com as a trusted site in the security options.

Edited by PlagueRages, 26 February 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#7 PlagueRages

PlagueRages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

Need help :thumbsup:. Going to try switching out the RAM. Thats the only thing I can think of at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users