Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are fonts or mp3s infectible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CreeDo

CreeDo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

I recently had a virus bad enough that I had to reformat. Unfortunately it infected 2 other drives.

Now I want to figure out what I can salvage from those drives.

I'm very paranoid about being reinfected again... every single
executable got infected in a way that made it a dropper, so the instant you ran anything, the entire virus is back in full force
regardless of what you've already managed to clean up.

So I'm currently deleting all executables on that drive.
But can I salvage movies, mp3s, and fonts? Or is there still a risk?

I know one trick is to make the media file associated with something other than
its usual program, so when you double click it, you run a virus instead of the intended movie player
or notepad or whatever. But the file itself should be fine, ya?

PS: Avira catches the virus, but not completely, and it wasn't able to clean the files... only quarantine or delete.
So even though avira might say these media files are ok, I'm not sure I trust it... and it's the best.
So I can't work with any answers like "just run this AV program and scan them" :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

yes but if your so scared of getting an infection again i would recommend getting the movies and mp3's agin instead of that if it infected everything

here are some good stores for mp3 and so on

Zune - 14.99$ a month and you get unlimited mp3s and stuff

i tunes - movies 10-15$ songs 0.99$ each tv shows 1.99$ each

lime wire is a p2p sharing program so you donít know what your getting adzactly, you could get the song or a virus

Edited by tylerisdabest, 26 February 2009 - 04:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users