Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music Downloading Sites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SharonDuquette

SharonDuquette

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hello. On the Today Show, it was talking about how people can steal identity from certain programs/downloading sites. Does anyone know what programs are safe to download from? Apparently, Lime Wire 5.0 is good and it protects from that, but what about Bearshare? Is bearshare okay?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

Quite honestly, you run the risk of infection and other problems using any P2P programs
That is why we recommend against them
I have noticed an increased number of malware post that include Bearshare in their logs

Edited by garmanma, 26 February 2009 - 12:49 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hello. On the Today Show, it was talking about how people can steal identity from certain programs/downloading sites. Does anyone know what programs are safe to download from? Apparently, Lime Wire 5.0 is good and it protects from that, but what about Bearshare? Is bearshare okay?

Thanks!

Didn't watch it but if I had to guess, I would say that they were referring to legal download sites such as iTunes & Rhapsody being safe as opposed to the torrent sites you're talking about.

Edited by frankp316, 26 February 2009 - 07:23 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

As the torrent sites are so overwhelmed with malware, I'm providing this link to our Am I Infected forum - just in case you need it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jetsetsteph

jetsetsteph

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

I didn't watch it, but my mom did, and she was telling me about it. No, they were not talking about the legal sites, but were talking about the P2P sites. At the end, they specifically said that Itunes, etc. are not file sharing sites.

Here's the clip:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/29405819#29405819

It's brings to life two old adages: Nothing in life is free. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

It's a lot cheaper to pay 99 cents a song than to have your bank account wiped out.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

I saw the show, and it wasn't very well done.
They were talking about people gaining access to your personal files (tax returns, bank statements, etc.), for purposes of identity theft, but not how it was done, or how to prevent it.

Most p2p programs, by default, give others access to all files on your computer, unless you go into the options and restrict the files you want to share.
Most people just install the program, and start downloading, without even bothering to check how the options are set up, and that's where the problem lies.
Anyone, on the filesharing network, will be able to access, and download, any files you have marked to share.
Once they have your statements, and tax returns, they know everything they need to know about you, and your family; Social Security #'s, home address, full names, account #'s, etc

While p2p networks have their uses, they can be a dangerous place to venture into, without taking the proper precautions.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users