Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptops

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shart4legged

shart4legged

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

We have all built desk top comps. from components( at least the more experienced users here) My question is, has anyone built a laptop from components? If so, where did you source your parts from? Was it a trying experience or did it go well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

May I suggest you google on the subject.
There is a lot of information there.

I have participated in re-building such replacing most parts.
We usually ran into the propriety parts used problems doing such.
I've never tried to build from scratch. Available system are cheaper.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

Laptop components such as cases and motherboards are proprietary. Some components like wireless cards, hard drives, bluetooth modules, wireless modules, and memory can usually be swapped assuming it has the proper slots/expansion space available. With 90% of the components built into the motherboard, it is an OEM world.

There was a push a few years ago to introduse a "standardized laptop/notebook platform" so you could build a lappy just like a desktop. Unfortunately I don't think it went anywhere.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 shart4legged

shart4legged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

All right,if parts for laptops are proprietary and beyond the reach of us mere humans, how does one purchase a laptop without all the pre bundled garbage (oops, I mean software) that comes with it ? I just helped a friend set up his HP Pavilion and it is a very nice machine. If it were mine however I would be tempted to format the hard drive just to get rid of all the useless stuff on it. I mean Vista is bad enough but HP has carried the term bloatware to a new level. Can you order from the Manufacturer with a clean HD ? I seem to remember an ad for Dell saying they would only load as requested but I'm not sure and besides for my money a Dell wouldn't even make a decent door stop. Am I just spoiled from being able to configure my system as I want it or does any one else think it is preposterous to spend around $1000.00 and not really be happy with the purchase?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:34 AM

There are some manufacturers that allow you to opt-out of crapware (a.k.a. bloatware or s***ware). Others only offer it on certain models, like the Toshiba Satellite Pro, XPS, or the Vostro. Some customers reformat the hard drive, but if you use the disc that comes from the manufacturer, it will often restore the PC to factory conditions, complete with all the software.

3939.png

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

Give this a shot:
PC Decrapifier

If you still want to try, building your own Laptop:
DIY Laptop/ Notebook Computer - Do It Yourself Notebook, Picture Tutorial
Do It Yourself Laptop
Building Your Dream Notebook : Does Building Your Own Notebook Really Make Sense? (includes video)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 shart4legged

shart4legged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Thank you to everyone for the replies. Very nice links tg1911 lots of good information there. I have been thinking about purchasing a lap top for a while now but as it would have to handle SolidWorks 2008-2009 I have been putting it off and getting by using customers desktops and my r/w disks. This involves installing a SolidWorks reader on their machine however and some of the IT guys are reluctant to accommodate me. A laptop to present drawings and do markups with would be ideal but as I stated before paying for a machine powerful enough to handle the graphics only to throw away the os and everything else to get it configured the way I want seems like a waste of money. I will definitely look at the decrapifier software and at modifying a barebones system. Thanks again.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

You're welcome, shart4legged.
Be sure to let us know what you decide to go with, and how it works out for you.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users