Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get rid of AutoRun-E [Wrm]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 blueren

blueren

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

Hi!

For a few days now, my avast! 4.8 professional has been acting up to a trojan - AutoRun-E [Wrm] found in appdata/local/temp

So I deleted all the contents of temp from safe mode. But it still somehow shows up in avast's eyes.

This is what it shows:

Path: \AppData\Local\Temp\etilqs_Pzx4HaQCxRkLkGr

Infection: BV:AutoRun-E [Wrm]

How do I get rid of this? I did try going through posts with similar infections. Most people suggested flash disinfector which didn't go past the security screen. It didn't install. What do I do?

And another thing, I recently deleted a folder which was named resycler and an autorun.inf file from all my hard disk drives.

Another symptom is that the auto run function doesn't seem to work for any of my flash drives.

From what I know, I think I have one of those many flash drive viruses.

I also installed hijackThis and got a log from it. Where do I post it to get help?

[OS-windows vista]

Edited by blueren, 26 February 2009 - 11:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive infections usually involve malware that loads an autorun.inf file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable). When the removable media is inserted, autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes another malicious file to run on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled. Read When is AUTORUN.INF really an AUTORUN.INF?.

Another symptom is that the auto run function doesn't seem to work for any of my flash drives.

What security tools have you used. Some will disable this feature in order to protect your system from this type of infection.

...flash disinfector which didn't go past the security screen. It didn't install. What do I do?

Clarify what you mean by this. Flash_Disinfector is a standalone utility that does not require installation.

If that file keeps returning after you remove it, that usually indicates other malware on your system which is protecting or recreating it. Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself. Sometimes there is a hidden piece of malware which has not been detected that protects files (which have been detected) so they cannot be permanently deleted.

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt. Follow the instructions here for performing a scan in "safe mode".
-- Post the log in your next reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 blueren

blueren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Clarify what you mean by this. Flash_Disinfector is a standalone utility that does not require installation.

When i run the exe file, a window appears asking me whether to permit the process from running or not. and when I click on run, nothing happens. I suppose there should be a window asking me to insert the flash drive, but it doesn't appear to me.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

I just noticed your first post was edited and that mentioned your OS was Vista. If using Windows Vista, try right-clicking on it and Run As Administrator.

#5 blueren

blueren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

Nope! Still no use

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

It may not be compatible with Vista. I don't recall at the moment. Just go ahead and scan with Dr.WebCureIt.

#7 blueren

blueren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

It may not be compatible with Vista. I don't recall at the moment. Just go ahead and scan with Dr.WebCureIt.

Okay... the scan only picked up k9filter.exe But I use this as my web filter. And I also deleted the autorun.inf and resycled dir from all the drives from safe mode.

Will my highjackThis log be of any help?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

DDS/HijackThis logs are not permitted in this forum. The HJT Team members are all volunteers who contribute to helping members as time permits but currently there is a backup and you may have to wait for assistance. Referrals are made to the HJT forum if we cannot assist you here or the infection returning and we need to use more powerful tools. How is your computer running now? Any more reports/signs of infection?

If so, do this:

Please download Sysclean Package and the latest Virus Pattern Files - (Pattern files are usually named lptxxx.zip, where xxx is the pattern file number) and save them to your desktop.
  • Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided in the How to Use System Cleaner for performing a scan.
  • If you get a message that "required files are missing", click Ok and wait for sysclean.com to unpack them.
-- When using Sysclean its best to use the Administrator's account or an account with Administrative rights otherwise you will not have access rights to scan some locations. You can also Use the "Run As" Command to Start a Program as an Administrator. Even when doing that, the scanning process may result in "Access Denied" messages for some files. This is normal because these files are protected by the system.

#9 blueren

blueren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:50 AM

DDS/HijackThis logs are not permitted in this forum. The HJT Team members are all volunteers who contribute to helping members as time permits but currently there is a backup and you may have to wait for assistance. Referrals are made to the HJT forum if we cannot assist you here or the infection returning and we need to use more powerful tools. How is your computer running now? Any more reports/signs of infection?

If so, do this:

Please download Sysclean Package and the latest Virus Pattern Files - (Pattern files are usually named lptxxx.zip, where xxx is the pattern file number) and save them to your desktop.
  • Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided in the How to Use System Cleaner for performing a scan.
  • If you get a message that "required files are missing", click Ok and wait for sysclean.com to unpack them.
-- When using Sysclean its best to use the Administrator's account or an account with Administrative rights otherwise you will not have access rights to scan some locations. You can also Use the "Run As" Command to Start a Program as an Administrator. Even when doing that, the scanning process may result in "Access Denied" messages for some files. This is normal because these files are protected by the system.

Thank you very much!

Well this autorun file is being detected by avast in the temp folder. Even after i delete it in safe mode, it somehow reappears.

The thing is, when avast detects it, i run mbam and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition. Both of them fail to detect any infection!
I've also pin pointed the 2 files - etilqs_piQidE2qWxILb5V and etilqs_piQidE2qWxILb5V

And my comp is not showing any type of snag or slow down

Any idea whats going on?

Edited by blueren, 28 February 2009 - 10:28 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:21 AM

Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself. Sometimes there is another hidden piece of malware which has not been detected by your security tools that protects malicious files and registry keys (which have been detected) so they cannot be permanently deleted.

There are no shortcuts or guarantees when it comes to malware removal. Sometimes it takes several efforts with different, the same or more powerful tools to do the job. Even then, with some types of malware infections, the task can be arduous. Did you run the Sysclean Package yet?

#11 blueren

blueren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

yes. the sysclean scan is currently under way. Avast just found a couple of new files created again. So 4 now in total. But it always shows the virus warning screen only when I'm using chrome.. or may be not. Just a hunch

Posted Image

So many errors...Is this normal? or is something wrong?

Edited by blueren, 28 February 2009 - 10:52 AM.

#12 blueren

blueren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

Okay. Finished the scan. But the files are still there. Now what do i do?

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

Disinfection will probably require the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS/HijackThis log for further investigation.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your log in the thread titled "Post in this thread when you haven't received an answer in five days.".

#14 blueren

blueren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

I will do that. Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:35 AM

Hello blueren,

Now that you have a log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/207378/autorun-e-wrm-trouble/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users