Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem re-installing network drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 woody01

woody01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

Background:
MSI Wind netbook
WinXP Home SP3
Wireless adapter: Realtek RTL8187SE
Wired LAN adapter: Realtek 8102

Background:
Everything was working ok originally. I installed HotSpot Shield, a VPN/Proxy application. After trying it, I uninstalled it because of irritating adware.

Next, I updated my wireless driver to try to fix a problem with the adapter not connecting after suspend.

The update to the wireless driver was unsuccessful. While I was investigating that problem, I noticed that my network drivers all still referenced a HotSpot Shield driver. I removed all of the existing adapters in an attempt to eliminate the lingering effects of the HotSpot Shield installation. I was unable to uninstall or delete the network adapters from device manager, so I removed the entries for them in the registry.

So, after deleting the network adapters, I rebooted, let Windows detect the adapters and then re-installed the manufacturer's official drivers. At this point, I was unable to get the drivers to install successfully. Each time, the fail with a message that "the specified file could not be found." This is the case for both my wireless and my wired LAN adapter. If I look at the adapters in device manager, they look more or less, ok, i.e, the driver detail shows the correct version, points to the correct .sys file, etc, but there's an exclamation point icon and device manager indicates that the drivers are not loaded.

I've tried repeatedly to delete and re-install the drivers, but no luck. I think there's something messed up in the registry, or else a critical Windows file is corrupted.

I don't have a good restore point to use from before the problem. Does anybody have a suggestion on how I can possibly get a good driver installation without having to re-install Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:05 AM

You might try this, How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

I would uninstall all network drivers, then install the drivers anew. Current drivers may be damaged, unable to function properly.

Louis

#3 woody01

woody01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

OK, I tried the suggestion for viewing all of the non-visible adapters. The ones I see are mostly ones that I've already deleted and attempted to re-install. However, there are a bunch of adapters that are labeled "WAN Miniport (IP)", "WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport", "802.11b/g Mini Card Wireless Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport", "WAN Miniport (PPOE)", etc.

These appear to be "virtual adapters" created by the OS and associated with the physical adapters. I don't know if I should delete these or not, since they appear to be tied to networking protocols and are apparently functioning ok with the existing Windows drivers. Any suggestions about whether I should delete them or not?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

"I would uninstall all network drivers, then install the drivers anew."

All of those things reinstall with drivers...and any one of them could be damaged.

When trying to solve a computer problem...it's easier sometimes to eliminate all suspects and just proceed with trying to clean up the situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users