Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need a new Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Maddmike125

Maddmike125

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

I am trying to fix my brother-in-laws Laptop, its a Dell Inspiron 1720 with 32-bit windows Vista. I tested the HDD in my desktop and it works just fine. It boots up by itself and everything. But, when it is in the laptop it wont boot for some reason. I've tried to get the laptop to boot using several different methods. I switched HDD slots, I tried re-installing windows via CD, and no matter what I do, it freezes or goes to a black screen with a blinking underscore. I had it to where it would go to the windows screen where it was loading, but it froze after the loading-bar when by twice. I also got it to the windows media direct screen, where it also froze after the loading bar went by once or twice. Even when I try to reinstall windows, It only loads about halfway and freezes or shuts off by itself. What do you think it is, if it is not the HDD? Is it my MOBO or The CPU? I am hoping it is the MOBO. Let me know what you think please.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:42 AM

I think I'd check the ventilation and air flow capabilities...before anything else.

Cleaning A Laptop Computer - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyour...cleanlaptop.htm

Louis

#3 Maddmike125

Maddmike125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

thanks for the advise, but I doubt that that is the problem. I took the entire laptop apart and put it back together. It wasn't dirty at all. I mean, I'd be more than happy to take it apart again and clean it really good. I also checked all the heat-sinks and they were clean. But yeah. Is there any way to test the mobo or the CPU? I can get into the bios and I did run a diagnostic, everything passed. So IDK!!!

Edited by Maddmike125, 26 February 2009 - 09:57 AM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

How did you test a laptop hard drive in your desktop ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Maddmike125

Maddmike125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

Well, first I just made it a slave drive and looked to see if the files were on there. Then after I tried it in the laptop a few more times, I put it back into my PC by itself. Took both of my HDDs out. and it loaded windows Vista all by itself just fine. Because I have XP on my Desktop. So, I know the HDD works.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

OK, It must be a SATA HD.
I forgot you could do that with the SATA drives.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Maddmike125

Maddmike125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

yes sir. it is. I tend to forget that too... The newer HDDs are all compatible now. But does anybody think it is the mobo?

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

You could possibly need a new motherboard .

Since the only thing anybody here can do is suggest things to try, & it's a laptop, there are limited suggestions that can be made.

There is a chance that it is a memory issue but you didn't mention any error messages.

Since you know the hard drive works I suggest taking it to a shop where they can check it out properly & tell you what the problem is.

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

Memory.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Download, burn to CD, boot from CD and see if it finds anything.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users