Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about used processor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 papidropinboxers

papidropinboxers

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

i honestly dont know much about computers but i wanted to know weather or not its possible to use alredy used amd processors in your own pc

i need to know cause my cousin said he would sell me his amd phenom processor for 70 dollars and i just need to know if i should

thanks for the advice in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Which one?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:34 AM

Well...I would caution two things:

a. Make sure that the processor in question actually works without apparent problem.

b. Look up the various current retail prices for the same CPU which are new and have warranties that you can rely on.

I bought a used processor (and motherboard) 2 years ago from someone I trust and I did these things before I even considered closing the deal (which was a good deal for each of us).

Louis

#4 papidropinboxers

papidropinboxers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

amd phenom i have a asus mother board

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

You need to go to the Asus website & make sure the processor will work on your motherboard.

You need to get the model of the motherboard
Do a google for the model number
Locate the link to Asus for your model & go there
Click on Downloads
Select a operating system & click Search
When the page opens , on the left will be "Related Links"
One will be CPU Support
Click on that to see a list of processors that will work on your motherboard.

On the CPU list page , in the columns on the right, notice that there are "Since BIOS"
You may have to update your bios to run the CPU if the bios version listed for it is higher then what you currently have.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

amd phenom i have a asus mother board

That narrows it down, there are only four Phenom CPUs, and I don't even want to guess at the number of ASUS motherboards there are for that CPU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users