Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer compresses files at random

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky606

Ricky606

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

Hi ! My computer is compressing files especially text files done in notepad at random even though there is enough disk space on the drives.
My O/S is Win XP Pro----200GB HDD
My anti virus is Avast and I also have Spybot and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Can anyone please let me know how I can stop this.Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:15 AM

Go to Start> My Computer> right click on the C: drive> Properties. When the page opens look toward the bottom and see if you have checked Compress drive to save space, if it is checked remove the check mark.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

Thanks dc3 for your idea but thats unchecked. Most files are normal but some files like *.txt are in blue meaning compressed.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

If you recently ran disk cleanup and the box to compress old files was checked that would have compressed files. By saying that is being done randomly, I am thinkng you mean it is happening at random times, so that probably is not what caused it but since I was not sure that is what you meant, I thought I would throw this out there

#5 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Hi ! Stang777--thanks for your info
I think there must be some setting in the registry to block the compression of files and folders in local drives..
I searched the Group Policy from gpedit.msc but could not find anything in the Windows Explorer settings.
Anyone knowing about registry settings on file compression and decompression will be appreciated.
Cheers !

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hi ! Stang777--thanks for your info
I think there must be some setting in the registry to block the compression of files and folders in local drives..
I searched the Group Policy from gpedit.msc but could not find anything in the Windows Explorer settings.
Anyone knowing about registry settings on file compression and decompression will be appreciated.
Cheers !

Hi, you are very welcome. Btw, there is also a place in the properties window for the individual files to compress them that could be checked and causing that to happen. It is doubtful that is what happened as I don't know how that box would have become checked since it doesn't seem you would have checked the box, but you might want to look at the properties for your individual files and see.

As to the registry setting, I am sorry but I am clueless about that. I looked through the registry help files for somethng relating to compression but found nothing and the only thing I found doing a google search for it was for changing a registry setting to stop Disk Cleanup from checking for old files that can be compressed, sorry.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

I would like to suggest that you be extremely careful how you go about making changes in your registry, one improper change can't make your computer inoperable. I doubt that you will find a solution for you problem in the registry, but if you persist in making changes I would highly recommend backing up the registry first.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hi ! dc3 thanks for your valuable advice about messing around with the registry.
But if somebody points to a specific registry setting that refers to file compressions I would like to try that , and obviously back up the registry first.
cheers!

#9 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

Hi ! Stang 777---that Disk Cleanup gave me an idea when I clicked the options for 'Old Compressed Files"
I have changed the "compress old files after" from the default 50 days to 500 days and decompressed all files and folders as a group in my E and F drives.
Today it seems to be working OK , no more file compressions but lets wait and see for a few more days
to confirm whether the problem has been solved or not.
Thanks again ! cheers!

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:24 AM

Hi ! Stang 777---that Disk Cleanup gave me an idea when I clicked the options for 'Old Compressed Files"
I have changed the "compress old files after" from the default 50 days to 500 days and decompressed all files and folders as a group in my E and F drives.
Today it seems to be working OK , no more file compressions but lets wait and see for a few more days
to confirm whether the problem has been solved or not.
Thanks again ! cheers!

Hi again Ricky,
I am happy to hear that I was possibly able to help and that, for the moment, all seems to be ok. I hope it all stays ok, good luck, please let me know if it stays fixed. You are very welcome and cheers to you too :thumbsup:

#11 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:04 AM

Hi ! Stang 777 ---7 days gone and the files and folders are normal on my computer---no more random compressions so that idea from Disk Cleanup of changing the default setting of 50 days to the maximum 500 days really worked !!
Cheers !

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hi Ricky,

I am so happy to hear that all is still well, looks like the problem is fixed :thumbsup:

Thank you for letting me know :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users