Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop Has Wireless, Old PC Has Nothing - Help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JayC707

JayC707

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

Hi All,

Built my new rig a month ago and everything has been great. I have DSL through AT&T (connected through a LAN, not wireless) using their Modem.

Well, today I received my familes new Laptop, hooked up the wireless router and turned on the laptop. The good news is that it instantly worked with no issues - same was true for our iPhones, the bad news is that when I turned off the PC, then turned it back on, the PC has no connection whatsoever! It said it was disabled and it could not be reinitiated. I have no idea what I've done.

Now, if I turn both computers off, unplug the wireless router and turn on the PC, the PC has a connection again, then I can plug in the wireless router and they both work together - but other than that, it's one or the other which is a total drag.

I'm running XP Home on the PC, Vista Home on the Laptop.

Can anyone explain what's going on and a solution? I couldn't find anything in google and I can only assume it's a router / modem setting.

I appreciate any help!

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:56 AM

Assuming that ATT gave you a 2wire modem/router you really should not have any problem with having a wireless and hard wired connection. If they gave you a cheap motorola modem and you had to get your own wireless router, you should check the settings in the web configuration page.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 JayC707

JayC707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

Assuming that ATT gave you a 2wire modem/router you really should not have any problem with having a wireless and hard wired connection. If they gave you a cheap motorola modem and you had to get your own wireless router, you should check the settings in the web configuration page.

Hello,

Yes it is a 2 Wire Modem from AT&T and a newer Linksys Router.

What settings are you referring to exactly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users