Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP Pro SP2 on SATA-2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:23 PM

Pre-warning, I tend to type too much...sorry if it's too long.

About 2 weeks ago, my computer crapped itself and I can't figure out exactly what the problem is but I'm fairly confident it's a problem with the hard drive, either it simply stopped working, the SATA cable is faulty or it does not get power properly. Anyway my family decided to just get a new computer as the one that crapped out was a bit outdated anyway The computer will not come with an OS installed and I'm basically worried that I will have trouble installing Windows XP Professional on it. First thing's first, I'll be getting the computer tomorrow night so I'm just trying to make sure I can successfully install XP, rather then failing and having to wait over the weekend (On account of I won't have access to internet at home) to get a solution. The computer is being built at a local shop so I can only assume I wont get the driver/software discs for the individual hardware, along with accessories (like adapter for dual monitors etc) so I probably won't have drivers on a floppy for installing XP (I'm pretty sure it won't have a floppy drive anyway). So I'll list the information (not all that informative really...) that the shops website has detailed, and Hopefully someone can tell me if i need to slipstream drivers into my Windows XP Professional SP2 disc (I already know how, I just don't know if it's necessary or what drivers I'll need).

Processor
AMD 5000+ Dual Core processor
(2.6GHz+2.6GHz) FSB2000 (hypertransport)

Motherboard
ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI brand, supports fast DDR-2 RAM
supports 2000FSB with hypertransport, PCI-Express 16x,
hi-definition sound, Lan Port, 8 fast USB 2.0 ports

Memory
2048MB (2GB) of fast DDR-2 PC6400 RAM

Hard Drive
500GB 7200rpm, SATA-2, NCQ, Western Digital

Video Card
Fast 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT graphics card,
PCI-Express 16x, triple outputs (VGA, DVI and TV-Out)

Sound
high definition surround sound outputs at the back
headphones and microphone sockets at the front

Network
10/100 LAN, broadband ready

Because I don't know what motherboard it is, I didn't know how to research for myself and find an accurate answer...I asked the guy at the shop "Because it's using SATA-2, will I need any drivers to install XP?" and he replied "If you are using a Service Pack 2 installation disc, it should work fine, but if you use a Service Pack 1 installation you will corrupt the hard drive and it will fail after a couple of days". I know that my XP disc is SP2 so I was assuming at first that it would work fine, because he said so, but then I started to worry more and more when I was thinking about my old computer and how I had SO MUCH trouble installing XP onto it via SATA drives...
So if I need any drivers to be slipstreamed, I hope someone here can tell me and hopefully tell me which drivers I need and where to get them.

Also, after googling "amd 5000+ 2.6" I got results of AMD Athlon 64, so does that mean I will need to install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition? Because if so, I'm royally screwed...

Edited by Larfin_Man, 26 February 2009 - 12:26 AM.

I Thought What I'd Do Was I'd Pretend I Was One Of Those Deaf-Mutes, Or Should I?

You Know What I'd Like To Be? I Mean If I Had My Goddam Choice, I'd Just Be The Catcher In The Rye And All

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

You need to find out what motherboard is in there...that will determine whether you need to install SATA drivers for an XP install (actually, your BIOS will).

I guess I don't understand why you didn't ask for that info...when you were asking questions of those who put the system together.

Alternately...you can simply remove the case cover and take a look to see what the motherboard manufacturer and model is.

What's the link for this system information that you posted?

FWIW: No install of XP...has been known to corrupt a hard drive. There's nothing on the drive to corrupt when doing a clean install.

Louis

#3 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

This is the link to the sytem I am getting, and I asked him whether I'd need drivers and he said no and that SP1 would corrupt the drive. When he said that, I pretty much realized I wouldn't get accurate answers so I didn't ask more. I'm no hardware expert, but I know installing XP does not corrupt a hard drive...

Unfortunately I won't be able to open the case and look at the motherboard until tonight, which is kind of pointless because I wont's have internet access until Monday (It's Friday for me right now) thus I won't be able to search the mobo on the net and find any drivers. Also, I wouldn't even know where on the motherboard the model would be written, but I guess it would be obvious once I see it?

Sorry for troubling you with a lack of info, but I can't do any better when the guy who built it doesn't even know what he's talking about...
I Thought What I'd Do Was I'd Pretend I Was One Of Those Deaf-Mutes, Or Should I?

You Know What I'd Like To Be? I Mean If I Had My Goddam Choice, I'd Just Be The Catcher In The Rye And All

#4 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

He's probably talking about the 127gb limit for XPsp0, however you should get the drivers that come with the components, i would call and ask, failing that i would ask them to burn them onto cd for you when you pick up the pc (they might charge $5 or so).
Those motherboards are also probably new(ish) so they will likely have a compatibility mode (or legacy, or ahci disable)

#5 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

The drivers for the individual hardware components are not really a worry on account of I can simply go online and download them, but of course it would be nice to have them anyway.

Sorry for being noobish, but If the hard drives are not recognized during the XP install, do I just go into the BIOS and set the...something to legacy or AHCI Disable? Would that then mean the drive is not being used as a SATA-2? If it's no longer used as a SATA-2 is there a way to set it back to SATA-2 after XP has finished installing, without losing data or formatting or anything like that?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

I would not guess as to what the motherboard/BIOS may be...the motherboard model should be clearly displayed on it...either imprinted directly on the board or with a stickon label affixed to the board.

Louis

#7 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi Larfin Man

if I need any drivers to be slipstreamed, I hope someone here can tell me and hopefully tell me which drivers I need and where to get them.

I had a problem trying to install SP2 on a SATA drive. I even had the driver disk which I used during the install but windows had a problem with it.
I resolved the problem by slipstreaming the MassStorage Driverpack found here: http://driverpacks.net/
There is a usefull article on how to use Driverpacks and slipstream them there: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/501772

Edited by SLIX, 27 February 2009 - 12:12 PM.

Steve

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

Various motherboards today do not require slipstreaming of SATA drivers to install XP...the user must look at the board and BIOS to determine if such will even be a fruitful action.

Louis

#9 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

If it's no longer used as a SATA-2 is there a way to set it back to SATA-2 after XP has finished installing, without losing data or formatting or anything like that?

Once windows is installed and running (with drivers and service packs etc) you can normally just re-enable ahci and the drive will detect

#10 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:55 AM

Thanks for the useful information guys. Turns out it installed perfectly fine, which I was NOT expecting! If me it's me, there's surely trouble to go down..but not this time =D
Anyway, the info here seems very useful, I'll take note of it for future experiences.

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for the useful information guys. Turns out it installed perfectly fine, which I was NOT expecting! If me it's me, there's surely trouble to go down..but not this time =D
Anyway, the info here seems very useful, I'll take note of it for future experiences.

I am happy it all worked out for you. Sounds like you are a lot like me, you know there is no reason to expect something to not work right, other than the fact that it is yours, therefore, you are sure there is no way it will work right, lol. I am glad this time it worked right for you. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users