Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Message formatting is all messed up for me

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/206178/network-problem-with-windows-2000-and-xp/

Could someone help me figure out what has suddenly gone wrong in that my post has all those in them and I can't really read them. This now happened twice or more. As I type a message, it's all ok. When it got posted, it's a mess like the thread I mentioned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:58 AM

The <br /> tag is used in XHTML to close a break line.

Go back through your post and make sure you have no <br> or <br/> there.

If you use the Preview Post button before posting you reply it will show how it will post and any amendments can be made.

Your other posts appear ok in the rest of the thread :thumbsup:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

I fixed your post for you
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

Also if you have the rich text enabled in your settings, that could mess things up too, as I found out. I had trouble posting for a long time. Galadriel had told me about the rich text editor.. sure enough, disabling that fixed everything. The HTML is one of the things that would crop up.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

Thanks pandy and garnmanma,

Now, I don't know of having any Rich text enabled in the browser. I use Opera. It never was doing the rich text (or whatever) thing on this forum, and now it does. I'll search through Opera settings of course, but any other ideas? It's really inconvenient to have to deal with it.

Edit: I just tried editing a msg in the test forum and it was ok - so testing here. I get this funny big frame all around the typing box and hitting Enter skips too many lines. I've never seen it before and didn't see it when I was editing in the test area.

Hmmm, things seems ok, though the funny black frame is new. Mind you, I've changed NOTHING in the browser. Did I tell you I hate computers  :flowers: :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 28 February 2009 - 08:26 PM.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

I fixed your post for you

In case it wasn't clear, thank you very much.

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

OH! ok yes. I use Opera too and what you are describing sounds a lot like what was happening to me. I am referring to the rich text editor in the forum settings. Go to My Controls, at the bottom on the left you will find a heading for Options, click there where it says Board Settings and at the bottom of the board settings there is a question that asks

Type of text editor to use when posting
Rich Text Editor requires either IE6+, Mozilla / Firefox or Opera 9+ Make sure Standard Editor is chosen from the drop down menu there. Let me know what you find.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

Good suggestion. I found it, and it was "Rich". I changed to "Standard" per your suggestion. The typing box looks normal now :thumbsup:

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

YAY! lol.. I am delighted you found it. That caused me such difficulty to the point I quit using Opera as my default browser. I am glad to have my Opera back. I cannot recall ever setting the rich text editor.. but having it off solved all the weird little issues I was having when I was trying to post.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Pandy, you're my hero! It's working on the real stuff - making a real reply and editing it. We're back to normal :thumbsup: :flowers:

#11 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

.. and Galadriel is my hero lol, she is the one that found the problem for me. I have been so happy ever since. LOL

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users