Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 guidemaster

guidemaster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:56 AM

Hey Everyone,
I have a family member who has a computer that is very VERY slow due to all the adware etc. that has piled up inside. The online connection is slow. I ran a Norton scan and Ad-aware also, ad-aware would not finish the deleting process. I showed her how to defrag her hard drive also. Her computer is "packed tight" so online downloading of the proper programs she needs ( Spy-bot, A-squared, Spywareblaster, Hijackthis) would be very slow. My question is, can I go to Safe Mode, get online and download these programs quicker. She has Windows Me, which I have never used. I could not find the task manager like XP has. Thanks
Guidemaster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:03 AM

Hello guidemaster and welcome to BC.

I'm not sure if you can do that in ME but if you can then the choice is available on the menu screen where you pick Safe Mode. It would be Safe Mode with Networking.

If you have a CD burner you could burn these programs you want and install them on the problem computer that way.

Have you tried running Ad-Aware in Safe Mode?

Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Go to the Startup tab and uncheck any unneccessary programs to improve the computers performance.

Edited by Leurgy, 05 June 2005 - 08:52 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:49 AM

Run all the anti-spyware and anti-virus you have in safe mode and let it delete everything it finds.

Try this free program which finds all kinds of unnecessary stuff on your system and deletes it to give you more room. Download CCleaner from here:
CCleaner
Do NOT use the 'Applications' or 'Issues' tabs, they are for expert users only.

Do another defrag, if the system does not run normally after that then you must either uninstalll some software, delete files or get a bigger hard drive.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users