Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folders and files become read only

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Qiao Mo Li

Qiao Mo Li

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

My 'Documents' folder and the folders and files within it keep becoming read only. I open a Word doc and start working on it and can save it a couple of times but the third time I'm told it is a read only file. I then check the properties for 'Documents' and the sub-folder only to find they have become read only. I make them not read only and can again save a few times but then it happens again. This has only started happening over the last couple of days but it's really annoying! I am working in compatibility mode so that people can actually read my documents. If anyone can help that would be fantastic!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

Can you open and save the files in WordPad? If you right click on a document and then properties, is the file listed as Read-Only? Is Word activated?

3939.png

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

By any chance, are you in a non-administrator account?

Sometimes people put locks on the programs.. But otherwise, I think you could save the "read-only" copy as well.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 Qiao Mo Li

Qiao Mo Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

Thanks very much for the replies. I am using an administrator account and I'm the only person who uses the computer so I don't think it can be that. I can open the files in Word Pad, sorry I don't quite understand what that means in relation to my problem. The files are not originally listed as read only, this happens once I have saved them a couple of times. I am using Word when this happens, is that what you mean by 'activated'? Sorry to be stupid.

I can open the files and I can save them again with another name and keep working on them it's just incredibly annoying having to do this every time I want to save. Also I can't understand why my Documents folder would just suddenly become read only, mysterious!

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

You can turn off the Read-Only option. Right click the folder, then to properties, then on the bottom, there should be a Attributes section. See if that Read-Only is on.

#6 Qiao Mo Li

Qiao Mo Li
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

Thanks Swordie. I've tried this. I turn it off and it's fine for the next couple of saves but then everything becomes read only again, the Documents folder, all folders within it and all the files.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:13 AM

A standard user account should not be locked out of saving files. Activation refers to Microsoft validating your install of Office as authentic. Was Office already pre-installed on the PC when you bought it, or did you install it yourself from a disc or download? Until we get this figured out, you can use OpenOffice to open and modify documents. It has mostly the same functionality of Office and can open many of its files, but is free and without many of the proprietary Microsoft technologies.

Edited by DJBPace07, 27 February 2009 - 02:14 AM.

3939.png

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

You might also want to update your office program. Every once in a while, theres' glitches here and there, so Microsoft might have noticed and attempted to fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users