Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format HDD with New MoBo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Vasquez

Frank Vasquez

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

I am switching from an Asus M3A32 MVP Deluxe/WiFi and AMD 9950 to an Asus Rampage Extreme II with Intel i7 920. I am keeping my 500GB Seagate HDD with Vista-64U on it.

Of course, I would rather just switch everything, turn it on and voila - everything works! But I know that is rarely the case.

MY QUESTION:

Should I reformat my HDD and do a clean install of Vista?

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

That's a decision you have to make. Some XP references on doing such (I have no experience with any version of Vista):

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

You receive a Stop 0x0000007B error after you move the Windows XP system disk to another computer - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314082

Move Harddrive to a New Windows XP System - http://www.theeldergeek.com/move_harddrive.htm

If I wanted sure success, I would just do the clean install...although I know that I have done the move from one to another. I considered it an experiment, a learning experience and was prepared to just clean install if circumstances dictated such.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#3 Frank Vasquez

Frank Vasquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

Louis,

Thanks for the info - all of that applied to XP, is it the same for Vista? I think I might just re-format the puppy and start again - I have backed up all my important stuff.

Thanks!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

all of that applied to XP, is it the same for Vista

Yes

I think I might just re-format the puppy and start again

That would be the best way to go
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Frank Vasquez

Frank Vasquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

Re-Format it is - thanks guys for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users