Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntoskrnl.exe boot up problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

Well.. Here it is..

I turn on my computer, ready for another typical day, when my computer makes this funny buzzing noise.. It sounded like a CD Drive thing.. This is on a 5-6 year old computer (eMachines T2895).. And I see this weird message saying: Windows could not start up because the following file is either missing or corrupt:

C:\System32/Ntoskrnl.exe.

Please install this file.

So I go to think..

And I decide to "reformat" my HDD. And guess what? My keyboard doesn't respond. It's the same one the computer came with.. Right now, i'm not sure what to do.. I need to fix this computer problem soon..

Anyone know how to fix this? Is there something up with my mouse or my keyboard?

Edited by Swordie, 25 February 2009 - 07:39 PM.

Who said I couldn't have everything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rsmith12573

rsmith12573

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

It may help if we know a few things.
  • Were you successful in reformating your HDD and reinstalling Windows?
  • What type of Keyboard is it? USB or PS/2? Is it Wireless?
It may help if you borrow a friends Keyboard and see if that works first. Then you can rule out wether or not it is the keyboard. If it is the keyboard you can just pick up a new one at your favorite computer retailer. They usually don't cost that much. :flowers:

Also, you might check to see if USB keyboard support is enabled in your BIOS if your keyboard is of the USB type. Note: most newer BIOS's don't have this setting.

If it is a USB type keyboard then you can usually plug/unplug the keyboard in without shutting off your computer first. :thumbsup:

If it is the PS/2 type it is good practice to shutdown your computer first before you unplug or plug in the keyboard. If you don't do this, you could damage the keyboard and or keyboard port on the motherboard. In some older systems that don't protect against accidental removal/reinsertion while the PC is on, you could damage the motherboard all-together and will continue to get intermittent errors and problems until it finally just quits working or you replace the motherboard. :inlove:

This usually isn't a problem anymore because the PS/2 connectors and related problems are giving way to the USB type connectors now~a~days, although I still do see a few brand new motherboards sporting them. :trumpet:

About your ntoskrnl.exe problem. You may want to think about checking to see if your drive is healthy before you do anything else.
  • Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type compmgmt.msc in the box and click OK.
  • In the left panel click on Disk Managment
  • A list of all your drives should appear, check to see that the drive windows is installed on (usually C:) has the word Healthy (System) next to it. If it does, good. If it doesn't say healthy, something may be physically wrong with the drive and it will need to be replaced.
  • Close the window
  • Open My Computer
  • Right click on the drive that Windows is installed on (usually C:)
  • Select Properties
  • Select the Tools Tab
  • Under Error Checking click Check Now
  • Check both check boxes for 'Automatically Fix File System Errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'
  • It should give you an error that the drive is locked and this cannot be performed at this time
  • It will then ask you if you want to schedual this for the next time you start your computer. Click Yes
  • Restart your computer
Chkdsk should check your system drive at start up. It will be a blue screen and ask you to press any key to abort. Just let it do it's thing. Don't touch any key. After it's done which may take a while on larger drives, it will restart windows. Keep an eye on it and if it finds anything it will tell you. This could indicate a 'dying drive'.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can look in your device manager or on the physical hard drive for the manufacturer. Go to thier web site and find a tool to check your drives health. You may have to create a bootable disk to do this. If your drive checks out after that then your errors could be coming from Malware or shutting down your computer incorrectly.

Edited by rsmith12573, 25 February 2009 - 11:00 PM.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

"There is no place like 127.0.0.1" from MVPS HOSTS

#3 Swordie

Swordie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

PS/2 meaning the one with the wire.. With the plug.. And no, not USB. I can't even go into Bios. And I've used my new computers' keyboard. Doesn't work either. Might go pick up a new USB one at the Circuit City.. Was a nice one for 20 dollars.

And as for the problem, I was agreeing with getting a new one. This is my brothers computer; and he's been using it since 03. I can't really contact the eMachines people, since they have this strict policy for this warrenty thing, and since it's 5-6 years old, it's pretty ancient. Anyhow, I do believe it is a ATA, and I really think he should get a new CPU. Besides, you could get a 4GB Tower for like, what? $300? A new HDD would cost more..

BTW: Couldn't I slave it on my tower and reformat it without using the Windows CD?

#4 rsmith12573

rsmith12573

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

Okay sorry about that I jumped to conclusions on the drive part and rethought and edited my previous post. Yes you could get a new PC for about $399.99 (US). However HDD's of about 80GB's cost around $60~70 dollars on eBay. The new towers today sport much larger drives usually with 250GB or more. However, if that is the way you are going to end up going then I wouldn't worry about the keyboard either. The new PC should come with one and it may even be wireless. (If it's wireless don't forget to get extra batteries for it. Usually AA's.)

Oh and Yes you could Slave it on your PC and format it. You may even use the error checking tool on it from there too. :thumbsup:

Edited by rsmith12573, 25 February 2009 - 10:41 PM.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

"There is no place like 127.0.0.1" from MVPS HOSTS

#5 Swordie

Swordie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

That is if it is a SATA.. I believe the one is a ATA.

And from what I know, the difference is significant; it's a XP SP1 actually, and it has 512 MB RAM. So yeah.

I know you could replace the file directly from the CD, but i've been having problems with it so I can just slave; error check then Reformat.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:41 AM

You should not install XP on a hard drive...that is not the system that you intend to use as the home of the drive. Although it may be possible to do so with success...it's an unnecessary risk for users to take, IMO.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

It's simpler to just install it on the system that will contain the drive.

As for your keyboard...they fail, just as anything else manmade. The keyboard is the most necessary input device of a system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users