Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xXWolfsterXx

xXWolfsterXx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

I didn't know where to post this, but because my OS is Vista, I decided to post here.

Well, recently, I fell for the finally fast scam (Yes, I'm stupid)

During the reinstall of the OS, my memory was defragmented.

Well now, I can no longer connect to the internet and it does not detect my video card.

How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

What is the make and model of your system?
Do you have the recovery disks that it came with/asked you to make.
If you haven't made the disks, can you make them now?

Are your problems only with connecting to the internet and your video resolution?
Check your Device Manager for any red x's or yellow !'s. To do this, go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Let us know all of this and we'll get started with fixing things up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 xXWolfsterXx

xXWolfsterXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

What is the make and model of your system?
Do you have the recovery disks that it came with/asked you to make.
If you haven't made the disks, can you make them now?

Are your problems only with connecting to the internet and your video resolution?
Check your Device Manager for any red x's or yellow !'s. To do this, go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Let us know all of this and we'll get started with fixing things up.

Gateway, modle is P-7811FX
I do have the original recovery disk
It seems to just be internet, but I haven't really checked the video card.

I checked and there are only four yellow !.
Ethernet Controller
Mass Storage Controller
Network Controller
SM Bus Controller

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

First you'll have to check if you've got a 32 bit or a 64 bit version of Windows (different from your computer processor)
To do this, press the Windows key and the Pause/Break key at the same time. In the Window that opens, about 1/2 way down it will tell you if it's a 32 or 64 bit Operating System. Let us know what that says.

With that information we'll go here: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...=&st=browse
That will give us the page where the drivers are located.

From there we'll figure out which one's you need to install to get those devices working for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 xXWolfsterXx

xXWolfsterXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

First you'll have to check if you've got a 32 bit or a 64 bit version of Windows (different from your computer processor)
To do this, press the Windows key and the Pause/Break key at the same time. In the Window that opens, about 1/2 way down it will tell you if it's a 32 or 64 bit Operating System. Let us know what that says.

With that information we'll go here: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...=&st=browse
That will give us the page where the drivers are located.

From there we'll figure out which one's you need to install to get those devices working for you.

64 bit.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

This should be the page that the downloads are located on: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;os=&type=

Download these drivers:
Media Reader
Both items under Motherboard (Chipset and Matrix)
Under Network, the first Marvell Network (for wired connections)
And this one under Video: P-7800_VIDEO_NVIDIA_176.15_64BIT.zip - NVIDIA Video Driver Version: 176.15

Download the network one on another computer and copy it to the laptop. Then install it. Reboot and you should be able to connect to the internet using a wired connection (the wireless is easier to install once you're connected).
Then download the rest onto the laptop and install the Chipset first, then the Matrix, then the Video, then the Media Reader.

This will leave the wireless and we can work on that once the rest is done.
After all this is done there'll be one item with a yellow ! left - that will be the wireless (FWIW, it's either the Network Controller or the Ethernet Controller).

Right click on that and select "Properties"
Then select the Details tab
Then, in the dropdown box, select Hardware ID
Let us know the 4 characters immediately after the VEN_ and the 4 characters immediately after the DEV_

FYI - you can also click on the Drivers tab and tell Windows to search for and update the drivers - Vista is better at this than XP was, so it may work well for you.

#7 xXWolfsterXx

xXWolfsterXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

How can I copy it over without a USB flash drive? I have no money and my parents are being less then helpful >_>

Edited by xXWolfsterXx, 25 February 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

Copy to a CD? Not many ways to do this without some sort of removable media.

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

How big is the file? You can upload it to your E-Mail or host it on MediaFire or other hosting sites.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users