Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook XP / 2002 problems with Yahoo! internet mail

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 slo36

slo36

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Hello

I am attempting to access my Yahoo! email through Outlook XP/2002.
My Operating System is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
I am using a Toshiba Satellite M45 Laptop and connected to the internet through Road Runner Cable Service (Ethernet LAN line)
I have a Scientific Atlanta modem through Road Runner and a WGR614v6 Netgear Wireless Router
I pay about $20 / year for Yahoo's PLUS email service.

Here's what I've done so far...

Open Microsoft Outlook 2002 (10.6838.6845) SP3
Click Tools
Click Email Accounts
Select Add a new email account, click next
Select POP3, click next
Enter User Information as my name (John Doe) and my Yahoo email address (JDoe@yahoo.com). This is where I seem to be having problems
Enter Logon Information as User Name (JDoe) and Password (1234abcd)
Enter Incoming Mail Server (POP3): plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com
Enter Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
I check the remember password box
I leave the Log in using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) box unchecked

Then I click on the More Settings... button
I select the Advanced tab
I select the This server requires an SSL-secured connection (SSL) box under the Incoming Server (POP3) heading. The Port # changes from 110 to 995 automatically
I leave the outgoing server port at 25 and I don't select the SSL box.
I also opt to leave the messages on the Yahoo server and remove from server when deleted from "Deleted Items" under the Delivery preferences

I then click OK to close the More Settings... window

Back in the Email Accounts window, I click the Test Account Settings... button and it runs me through a test.

Here are the results:

Task Tab:
Establish Network Connection... Completed
Find Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)... Completed
Find Incoming Mail Server (POP3)... Completed
Log onto Incoming Mail Server (POP3)... Completed

Send test e-mail message... Failed

Errors Tab:[/b]
"Send test e-mail message: Unable to send test Message. Please verify the E-mail Address field."

I am receiving e-mail OK in Outlook. I always get an error message when I try to send though. My error message reads,
"Task 'plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 authentication required - "for help go to [url="http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html""]http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html"[/url]

By the way, the reason I don't use SSL for my outgoing server is because when I do check the box to use SSL and manually enter the port number 465 (per Yahoo's instructions), I get the following error message when attempting to [b]Test Account Settings...

"Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correct. To access these settings, close this dialog, then click More Settings and click on the Advanced Tab"'

I've been looking around on the internet... does my problem have anything to do with my Port Forwarding / Port Triggering configurations on my Netgear rounter?

Thank you,
Slo

Edited by slo36, 25 February 2009 - 07:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users