Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dang...my friend spilled coke on his laptop!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DenPar

DenPar

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:44 PM

It's a HP laptop computer with Vista...it powers up and then gives following message: "No bootable deivce found. Insert disc." He says he has no disc. Doesn't know what to do. Perhaps he can do nothing. The computer's shot! He would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,
Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

Oh.. That might be a bad idea, but this is what I would do:

Pull out the battery.
Open the computer and dry it off.
Then place it where excess fluids may come off.
And cross your fingers the Coke didn't bust any of the internal components.. If you aren't tech savvy or like you know what your doing, I wouldn't suggest opening up a Laptop..
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Depending on how much coke he spilled ( I am assuming you mean coca cola :thumbsup: ) He may have damaged the motherboard. Its best to let it dry out and see if it works after the liquid dries. There will be some residual stickiness From the sugar hopefully its not irreparably damaged. The "No bootable" disc inserted means the laptop is not finding the HDD and its looking for other options to boot from. Wait for it to dry and try again.

edit: and yes as above remove the battery and unplug it.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 February 2009 - 08:25 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

All electronical devices work somewhat the same in operation wise (like Cellphones when they get dipped in water, or when you drop your iPod in the toilet...)
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

You might want to remove the keyboard & see if any liquid got under it.
The same thing happened to a driend of mine.
He kept trying to start the unit until it just fried out.

If there is liquid under the keyboard it needs to be disassembled & cleaned.

While you have the KB off rinse it down with DISTILLED water.

Distilled water is not conductive [no minerals] & can be used to rinse components to get the sticky off as long as you let them dry well before using/reassembling.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 25 February 2009 - 08:59 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 DenPar

DenPar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

I thank all of you for your kind advice. I will pass it along and see what develops. I may be back.

Thanks again,
Dennis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

I had this problem years ago with a little TV and a can of Coke. Luckily my Dad (an engineer for RCA at the time) explained it to me.

The liquid gets on the circuit board and provides a short circuit
The electricity in the circuit board travels across this short circuit.
As it travels it "carbonizes" (Dad's words, not mine) the path across the circuit board that the short circuit takes.
When dry, this carbon remains and keeps the short circuit intact.

To demonstrate, he scraped the area between the traces with a pocket knife (this was an OLD circuit board) and the TV started working again!
Newer circuit board traces are too close together (and multilayered) - so don't try this on yours!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users